Need help with format of map

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by WombatSauce, Dec 22, 2015.

1. WombatSauce

WombatSauce L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    Hi, im new to mapping, and i cant compile and run the maps i make, and its not because they aren't sealed, or that there isn't a spawn. I think its because themaps are in a .rmf format, instead of .vmf. i tried to make a new map, and i put the name .vmf, but then it changed it to .rmf. How would i fix this, and if that's not a legitament problem, what's probably going on?

2. killohurtz

aa killohurtz Distinction in Applied Carving

Positive Ratings:
    RMF files, if I'm not mistaken, are associated with GoldSource, the predecessor to the Source engine. Might you have accidentally set Hammer's game configuration to a GoldSource game like the original Half-Life or Team Fortress Classic?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. WombatSauce

Positive Ratings:
    how would i change it to source?

4. Crowbar

aa Crowbar perfektoberfest

Positive Ratings:
    If you are using Hammer from TF2 folder, you can go Tools->Options and in Game Configurations tab change configuration to TF2.

5. WombatSauce

Positive Ratings:
    ok thanks. will all my projects be converted to .vmf if i do this?

6. Crowbar

Positive Ratings:
    No, but all projects you will create will be in VMF.
    To my knowledge, you also can open RMF projects and then convert them into VMF.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. WombatSauce

Positive Ratings:
    the game configuration was set to tf2, but the map typemas hl2/ tfc, and i set it to hl2 (tf2 wasn't an option, even though i got hammer out of the tf2 folder)

8. Tumbolisu

aa Tumbolisu  I ⌄ I 

Positive Ratings:
    The game configurations you should be presented with are 'Counter-Strike: Source', 'Day of Defeat: Source' and 'Team Fortress 2'. I'm suspecting that your hammer thinks it's not using the Source 2007 engine. Have you opened a different hammer before?
    Anyways, you are gonna have to setup everything manually I gues. Add "Team Fortress 2" as a configuration and edit most things to match up with this:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. WombatSauce

Positive Ratings:
    thanks, but my settings were the same. What else could it be? also, could this be causing my face edits/ displacements to reset whenever iclose hammer?

10. ExtraCheesyPie

ExtraCheesyPie L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Yes. GoldSource games did not have displacements.

• Useful Useful x 1
  11. WombatSauce

Positive Ratings:
    thx cheesy

12. WombatSauce

Positive Ratings:
    can anyone tell me why it still isn't working?

13. radarhead

aa radarhead Hands out ratings like cheap cigars

Positive Ratings:
    Are you using the version of Hammer found with in the /tf folder, or are you using the SDK?

14. WombatSauce

Positive Ratings:
    /tf folder

15. Crowbar

Positive Ratings:
    Valve broke SDK not too long time ago. When using SDK version of Hammer with picking game and creating file/opening existing one, it says something about window elements and viewports are shown with no grid, nothing in them and you can't map at all.
    What doesn't work? It still saves in RMF? Pick VMF manually when saving the map

16. WombatSauce

Positive Ratings:
    it still saves in rmf, and if i try to save in vmf, the file doesn't work, and any new maps also got to rmf.

17. Crowbar

Positive Ratings:
    Oh, i don't know how to fix THAT. The only advice i can give you is to do something with Hammer: pick TF2 and apply changes (did you apply them?), delete cfg of hammer (don't know where is it), check game cache in steam... Didn't meet this problem at all, sorry.

18. Vel0city

aa Vel0city func_fish

Positive Ratings:
    Something about Hammer's config isn't allowing you to save as a VMF. May I suggest deleting the gameconfig.txt, hammer.bat and hammer.exe and then have Steam check your game cache? That should reset it to the default settings.

19. WombatSauce

Positive Ratings:
    ok thx. this wont delete my maps, right?

20. Tumbolisu

aa Tumbolisu  I ⌄ I 

Positive Ratings:

It's always a good idea to keep backups somewhere, however. Most people use cloudstorage for that.

• Thanks Thanks x 1