Need help with displacement cliff

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Numerous, Jan 16, 2010.

1. Numerous

Numerous L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    Because I don't have TF2 right now, I'm going to just describe what I mean.

I have a flat plane, basically, and I want a massive ridge right in the middle. It's going to have cliffs (with a cliff texture) along all 360 degrees, except for a displacement ramp on each side. It's also going to be diagonal, so if I make an extra displacement on top of the displacements there, it'll be a pain.

What do I do?

2. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    Can you draw a picture? Surely you still got paint??

3. Numerous

Numerous L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    If you want, but your eyes will regret you ever suggested that I use paint.

[​IMG]

The main problem is I have no clue on how you actually add a massive piece on top of another displacement.

A tutorial would be useful (no not youme's tutorial on displacement cliffs, I already know that, it doesn't explain anything on how you get these displacements to line up).

4. jakemaheu

jakemaheu L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    A nice thing about displacements is that they can overlap and intersect without problems. If I'm reading your post correctly, you should just be able to create a displacement brush and then edit it how you wish.

EDIT: Give me a few minutes and I'll try and make an example.

5. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    Remember, displacements don't have to be squares, they can be any form of quadrilateral.

If you seriosuly get stuck, just look at the provided sdk maps in the sdk_content folder. I was going to post a more thorough explination but i gotta shoot right now, will come back later if you're still having trouble.

6. jakemaheu

jakemaheu L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Well, it's made in the EP1 version of Hammer, but it'll do. I'm on a netbook, so I don't have enough space for both versions.

http://ww.jakemaheu.com/ridgeexample.vmf

This is a simple map with two displaced cliff walls and displacement ground. In the middle of the recessed ground is another displacement made to look like a ridge coming from the ground.

Is this what you were looking for?

EDIT: Wait, if all you want is basically a diagonal displacement, why not create a regular displacement brush and rotate it 45 degrees?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  7. Undies

Undies L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    That layout looks a LOT like the map I am currently working on ... very odd, generic as it is. Tempted not to help because of this :p