Need help with a Func_Physbox ball

Chromatose

L1: Registered
May 10, 2012
Simple as it sounds, I've created the ball and everything, but now im trying to figure out how to make it lighter (i.e hits send it further), if anyone has any ideas I would love to hear them! :D

Zeigh

L2: Junior Member
Jul 13, 2012
You mean a volleyball or something? I've seen many of those in maps, try seeing how they did it and do the same.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
I have no idea, and honestly most of us know only about more conventional TF2 map creation. I dunno who around here even knows this, except for Booj. You could wait for him to pop in, if ever, or you could try asking somewhere else, or use BSPSource to decompile something and check it out yourself. Just remember to always use BSPSource for good, not evil.

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
Simple as it sounds, I've created the ball and everything, but now im trying to figure out how to make it lighter (i.e hits send it further), if anyone has any ideas I would love to hear them! :D

You'll want to decompile the model you want and recompile it with a different weight.

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008
You'll want to decompile the model you want and recompile it with a different weight.
Func_physbox is a brush-based entity, no models involved.

Try fiddling with the MassScale keyvalue on the func_physbox. A lower number should give you a lighter object.

Mr. Happy

L6: Sharp Member
Jul 16, 2008
MassScale is the right keyvalue to play with. Use numbers below 1 to make it lighter (since it is a scale).
IIRC Func_physbox mass is computed automatically by the engine based on volume and the surfaceproperty you set.

FYI the beach ball model from birthday mode is available if you would prefer, it should be in props_gameplay and should be usable as a prop_physics.

T

The Asylum

Ask Asylum

Hooray! I'm useful for a change!

What you want is a logic_auto and a point_servercommand

Logic_Auto
OnMapSpawn
(your point_servercommand)
Command
phys pushscale 50 (or 40, or whatever, play around with it. The higher the number the more the ball will move when hit)

This'll make the ball a lot easier to knock around

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 6, 2008
Here and decompile it:

http://forums.tf2maps.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=4921

It's my map and it's based off of Big Lou's Coding (used with permission of Lou) which I modified slightly - you can shoot the balls around quite nicely with most - NOT ALL - weapons. They don't move on sniper shots, pyro torchs or the blow back - they haveto use secondary type of weapns. Rumour has it that there are other soccer maps othe there or something like that that will allow it but if you just want it to roll around on the ground - mine/lou's coding will work just fine.

Once you have decomplied it - if you look at the entity you'll see that you can make it, wood, metal, glass, etc and then set the mass off it. I would suggest starting with my mass settings as that's a fairly bouncy ball - woorks great with demo sticky, ball really flies! - and then increase the mass settings to make it heavier. Note - each type of item - wood, metal, plastic starts off with it's own base type of mass so you may need to play around with it some more.

Last edited: