Need help making a banner

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Vander, Aug 16, 2008.

1. Vander

Vander L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    My clan is changing to a new website and I would like to create a new banner for our site. I have Photoshop Elements....and no idea how to get started.

Here is an example of our old banner (3 parts merged to one):

[​IMG]

I'd like to do something along the same lines as this, but fresh and new! I also plan to remove the COD reference and incorporate our main games: TF2, CSS, Guild Wars, Project Torque, and perhaps a reference to the game that brought our clan together: C&C: Renegade.

Maybe make a banner specific to each game and have the site generate one at random, but I gotta learn how to make one first!

2. DJive

aa DJive Cake or Death?

Positive Ratings:
    I wouldnt mind with helping however.

1. not sure exactly what you are asking/looking for.
    2. only know photoshop and not Elements =(

3. Altaco

Altaco L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Photoshop Elements is basically just a dumbed down version of photoshop at about 1/10th the price. Most of the stuff you can do in CS3 or whatever you're using you can do in Elements.

4. Vander

Positive Ratings:
    Sorry if I was vague. :p

Well, really just some help in getting started. I have never made anything in a graphics program from scratch. If Elements is no good, I'm willing to download any freeware programs someone might recommend.

Maybe point me to a tutorial? You'll have to pardon me, I know absolutely nothing about creating custom graphics.

Hallelujah! (at the idea of not having to spend copious amounts of money)

In the words of our friend the Demoman, "If I wasn't a man I'd kiss ya!"

Last edited: Aug 16, 2008
  5. DJive

aa DJive Cake or Death?

Positive Ratings:

i tried elements before..

no way =)

6. Vander

Positive Ratings:
    Ok, I got an idea. Could you give me an idea of what it took you to creat the new site logo? Perhaps a tutorial of that process would help me and a lot of other folks.

If you describe it using the more expensive version of Photoshop thats fine...I can figure out the translation. Or I could just go with a free program. I think I have an old version of Paintshop Pro laying around somewhere too... The point is most of these programs do similar things, I'll figure it out. I just need a kind soul to point me in the right direction and get started.

7. drp

aa drp

Positive Ratings:
    are you going to keep the layout of it? i would assume the dark gray/blue is part of the entire site design?

8. DJive

aa DJive Cake or Death?

Positive Ratings:
    god my thought process? I feel sorry for ya.. and anyone else who "tries" to read this badly put together ramble.

--------------
    Looking at our current old banner and realizing we were getting big i still felt "odd" we didn't have a logo, or something to link to us.. it was just text.

While i've never been good at logo creation i LOVE font work however starting out it new it would be a huge challenge. I searched google for "tf2 logo" for some ideas and found this and thought it would be a good idea to start with.

[​IMG]

I then thought "what am i going to put in this? it has to do with mapping and tf2" Here is a few early editions i was trying.

http://www.tf2maps.net/misc/tf2banner copy.jpg

http://www.tf2maps.net/misc/tf2banner_v4.jpg

http://www.tf2maps.net/misc/tf2banner_v5.jpg

each with a tweak, or change.

I started with the wretches because i thought "tf2, engineer, build" but i couldnt get it to look right=( so i wanted something that would at least draw a little attention. I found some good player rends so and started to overlay them. It looked pretty good but i didnt want to have the character skins be part of the banner. IE "tf2maps.net with the pyro in the banner" because we have nothing to do with a character model, we have something to do with it all.

I made the character fit the banner and with help from Pepper he setup the rotation to work well.

In all the current banner took roughly 5 hours to make. off and on.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    so why is the pyro blue, and where is the heavy!!!

Inconsistency = ameture!:p

10. DJive

aa DJive Cake or Death?

Positive Ratings:
    im still upset about the heavy update =p

and pyro is the coolest! so he needs to be different

11. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    I shant deny that the pyro is the coolest but he sticks out too much and the lack of heavy is upsetting to me :(

12. Vander

Positive Ratings:
    No, it's a totally new site for our clan so I am free to design it anyway I please. (as long as it looks good that is).

I appreciate your post as well DJ, it gives me an idea of things I need to think about while designing it. I'm more interested in the physical aspect of making it. As in, when I crack open Photoshop...I have no clue where to start. I don't know how to make the background where the name resides...nothing.

Consider me a total graphics-creation noob who wants to learn!

13. Vander

Positive Ratings:
    Ok, ok. I think I'm gradually starting to figure this out. Here's a a prototype I created real fast just messing around with the shaping tools that took forever to find:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 18, 2008