grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008

NovaSilisko

L42: Life, the Universe and Everything
aa
Feb 3, 2009
The only thing I can find wrong with it is the lighting/skybox. It just seems overly bright.

Maybe well's skybox would be good in this map.

Ninjilla

L420: High Member
Sep 13, 2008
Yeah, the sun angle and map brightness throw me off a bit, looks a bit unsaturated, like the color was drained.

Last edited:

Open Blade

Nov 30, 2007
I'm open to suggestions on lighting. I did change the angle to 70 per somebody's request a week ago or so. Maybe I will try a few different skybox textures. I have not built the cubemaps either so that might be something affecting it. Could be the coloration of the light env. Any suggestions on what settings to try (specific)?

Grazr - I haven't really added anything to this cave yet but I am always open to new ideas on what can be done with them other then the normal trusses and shovel here and pick there.

I also mixed in the 2 different ground blends (gravel and grass) as per suggestions. I do think it looks alot better.

Thanks for the info guys.

Vigilante212

Dec 21, 2008
Try a bit more yellow in the color for the light see if that helps. Otherwise its looking very good. Cant wait to play it.

Open Blade

Nov 30, 2007
FYI - screenshots are 1680, so once you click on the instructions above the image to enlarge it, you can still make it even larger by clicking again and it will auto magnify to 100%.

I was going to ask why you guys think of the new sky since I changed it to goldrush and made some more changes to the color settings but now I find out that skybox texture is not HDR. Grrrrr.

Obviously I did not build the cubemaps yet so the lighting still might look a little dull.

So anyway, I FINALLY finished the major body of brushwork for the entire map. I spent the last two weeks on the final stage. I also did some work on a few of the interiors and spawn rooms.

There is still tons to do and alot of things need to be fixed. To name a few I noticed from the screenshots (tons of lighting fixes, some of my dark window brushes behind the models are not showing up, some props need alternate lighting source). I think I may have to raise the sun a bit higher. It looks fine in the really open areas but there are parts more narrow which need a tad more natural light.

Also, on my ending area, besides some texture changes and some stains here and there, I feel the main platform is missing something. I like the deckwork around it but I was thinking of maybe adding some holes into the deck (or rather gaps between boards) where you can see the ground underneath, just to give it some detail and break up that large area a bit.

Again, comments and ideas are very welcome. Thanks.

pl_wt_03.jpg

pl_wt_04.jpg

pl_wt_05.jpg

pl_wt_06.jpg

pl_wt_07.jpg

pl_wt_08.jpg

pl_wt_09.jpg

pl_wt_10.jpg

pl_wt_11.jpg

pl_wt_12.jpg

pl_wt_13.jpg

pl_wt_14.jpg

pl_wt_15.jpg

Last edited:

Waif

L7: Fancy Member
Mar 22, 2009
Firstly, it does look very nice- however you should upload smaller pics, to stop the pager from jumping up when you are trying to read it.

Also, isn't it wiser to play test a map first, then detail it?

BrokenTripod

L5: Dapper Member
May 11, 2009
In some of the last images, there's dark trim and dark wood. I personally think it's more pleasing to the eye if they were more consistent with the last picture, with dark trim and lighter wood elsewhere.

Just my opinion, though. You should get this into gameday =D

Open Blade

Nov 30, 2007
Firstly, it does look very nice- however you should upload smaller pics, to stop the pager from jumping up when you are trying to read it.

Also, isn't it wiser to play test a map first, then detail it?

Some people might prefer that method of playtesting it first before adding detail but doing some detail helps me visualize what I want better. Also, maybe some mappers don't play as much as others but I probably PLAY TF2 about 30 hours a week so really have a good understanding of what makes a map play well. I know there will be some things that probably need to be moved around but it's not hard to do. Now if you are saying a mapper will need to change major parts of his map because the game flow wasn't good, then that mapper should have had gameplay in mind when they were building the map. I always think gameplay before I think looks. Mostly what I will want from testing is to evaluate if my times are set up well. Adding time to checkpoints based on how far the team has to run. That's hard to just guess up front.

Open Blade

Nov 30, 2007
In some of the last images, there's dark trim and dark wood. I personally think it's more pleasing to the eye if they were more consistent with the last picture, with dark trim and lighter wood elsewhere.

Just my opinion, though. You should get this into gameday =D

I also like the lighter wood with dark trim, but there's not enough lighter wood textures I like enough and I don't want to make too many of the interiors look the same. And to me, darkwood with light trim, you don't see alot of lighter colored wood used as support beams and such :)

what's gameday?

BrokenTripod

L5: Dapper Member
May 11, 2009
http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?t=7890

That's gameday. It's like, people from the community download your map and playtest it for you. Only real requirements are that it works and that it's lit. (Make sure you read the rest of the rules, though, just in case!)

You get a good 30 minutes of solid playtime and it's usually people who haven't played the map before, so you'll know how easy it is for people to understand. Also, it's usually full?

It's a good thing =D

grazr

aa
Mar 4, 2008
My recommendation would be to make your final point (explosion/pit) more concrete in appearence. Much like Badwater. Having the pit in a wooden floor-thing looks a bit odd.

As usual your scale is spot on, detail spot on, and i can't wait to play this bugger.

The last point might want to be a bit more open, in that the cart should travel through an open space before reaching the pit. It makes the final cap feel more hectic (Although I have found it does tend to make a team with reserved players, who don't like to die, fail to attempt to cap. As you're likely to die 3 or 4 times before nudging it the last 5ft over the lip of the pit. Which is unfortunate).

Ninjilla

Sep 13, 2008
From the latest pics, I think it looks a lot better with the newer lighting. Just the final point doesnt scream EPIC like, say badwater.

grazr

aa
Mar 4, 2008
Even though, Tbh, the final point in Badwater isn't anything to cry home about. The start, yea, sure, it looks f***ing amazing. But the final point is a dissapointment. That's not to say yours should be like that, though. Ninjilla is right in pointing out that the final point needs to be epic. Or epic-er.

Ninjilla

Sep 13, 2008
Detail wise its not great looking, but It has this feeling. Going downhill into the whole enemy base with a nuke feels epic to me.

Sgt Frag

L14: Epic Member
May 20, 2008
I think overal the shots are looking pretty good.

I'd like to see that building above the concrete balcony with red metal though. You tend to use alot of that blueish meatl all around and it all looks the same. Add some red in the back there (seems like maybe that's red last spawn?) and it would really stand out.

Maybe splash a few red wood buildings around along the track. (Could just be skybox stuff or whatever) just something to add variety and contrast.

It just has a very blu look throughout the whole map to me. I also think you use those blu bricks maybe a bit too much.
Red doesn't seem to own much ground.

Open Blade

Nov 30, 2007
Here's a few pics of some recent changes. Two areas I was not totally satisfied were the starting area for Blu and then the final deck where the ending pit is. I made some changes based on some of your comments here and I do like some of the changes. I kept the wood decking around the pit but made the actual flat deck of the pit with concrete rather then wood. I also changed the entry area to the pit. I kinda like it but but I was thinking of changing that to some kinda wood platform, maybe. I also used more red wood texture in the red base as recommended, I do like it better. I also changed some of the lighting at the red base but it still needs more tweaking. I also added another sniper fence to the ending platform to give red another sentry location near the pit, but from another direction. I also added some little stairs to the endpit platform for some detail and because it was a little too tall and you had to jump up on it, so the stairs are nice.

On the Blu side, I like the changes but there is one major thing bugging me and not fitting my eye right. First, the changes, you can tell from the earlier screenshots what was changed. I thought the first turn was good but the 2nd turn going into the first checkpoint I felt was too narrow and not enough structural uniqness. I did not like the stairs going to an upper level from the small rock cliff so I removed that entirely. I like the new route much better. There is a small area of rooms just off the track and you can enter in two separate areas (the steps nearest the checkpoint before the 2nd turn or the stairs at the first turn). That area leads right to the checkpoint itself. I also made the area where the 2nd turn is larger, I felt the scale there needed to be a little bigger. I also extended the map further for not only viewing but also to let some more natural light into that area but used the fence to keep the playable area to what I wanted. I also lowered the building right near the tracks at turn 1 and 2 to also let in more sunlight, since it comes from that direction.

As you can see, alot of the roof tops are different in Blu area due to the changes but the one thing that surely isn't fitting my eye right now is the small set of dark blu towers between 1st turn and 2nd turn. I didn't want to use angled roofs because they are more of the sqaured brick type of buildings but I don't like how the tops look. I thought of raising one higher to break up the look but it NEEDS something more then that. I could really really use some ideas for that area right there.

As usual, there still are alot of lighting tweaks needed and details to the rooms so no need to comment on those. I think I finally settled on a skybox and sun angle that I like which looks good in all parts of the map.

As soon as I can fix these blu roofs I am talking about, and fix my ending explosion along with some lighting tweaks, it's ready to release for beta early next week. Everything else is working fantastic (train moves and captures all points, logic's are working just fine, forward spawns, reverse spawns, gates, cart, triggers). I just can't seem to get my explosion to work. The carts caps the final point and the round ends, just without a boom...........doh. I will get that fixed.

Thanks guys.

cph_01.jpg

cph_02.jpg

cph_03.jpg

cph_04.jpg

cph_05.jpg

cph_06.jpg

cph_07.jpg

cph_08.jpg

cph_09.jpg

cph_10.jpg

Steff0o

L6: Sharp Member
May 31, 2009
I'd recommend a slight angle in your light_env. It looks weird having the sunlight be straight down.

oh that's why the first 2 screenshot had almost no shadows...:D