Need advise on Capture Point related timings

• If you're asking a question make sure to set the thread type to be a question!

Logo

L3: Member
Oct 25, 2007
Need advice on Capture Point related timings

Hey guys just wanted to ask around for some advice on the timings for my current map. I'll obviously test out different options if something doesn't work but wanted to get a feel for what to go with first.

The setup:
The map I'm working on is small, very small. It's more of a mini-map than a full fledged map (I wanted a break from the multi-week/month cycle of a full sized map and just make something small and intimate feeling). It has 2 control points (and they're pretty close together). To keep the gaming going long the points will obviously have a long capture time. *EDIT* Both points are unlocked.

Now the question. I'm not sure which parts of the setup I should use:

1. A Medium/long capture time for both points that remains static through the match. Probably a respawn time bonus when a point is captured to help the team make the capture on the 2nd point.

2. At the start of the match the capture time would be VERY long. However at a certain time into the match (this style may use a static timer that doesn't go up when a point is captured but it wouldn't have to) you would enter 'phase 2' probably accompanied with some sounds/effects to indicate the change. Once this happens the time it takes to capture the points would decrease significantly upping the intensity of the match and start to open up more chance of a match end. Then as time continues to wind down (probably the last minute or 2) there would be like wise another 'phase' and the spawn time would drop significantly again. The idea with 2 being that as the match progresses it'd be easier and easier for a team to win while keeping it harder at the start (though still possible).

My concerns about 1 are stalemates/long matches or the match ending too quickly (given its small size if the points cap too fast the game could end very quickly). My concern about #2 is being too confusing to players or feeling unfair. There's also the possibility of people building up ubers in the spawn room then moving out right as the cap time decreases (though since it's a map for smaller numbers the loss of 2 teammates would be a big handicap while you build up the uber).

So recap:

1. Normal match like granary but with long capture times
2. Very long capture times to start but as time passes the capture times would decrease until it becomes a small amount of time to make the capture (think something like going from 3 minute capture down to 30 seconds over the course of the match).

What's your thoughts on it?

Last edited:

marnamai

L1: Registered
Dec 7, 2007
I am not exactly and expert in this, but what about making it a attack/defend map instead of a cp map?

- One team starts as attackers and the other as defenders
- Add a timelimit
- Use a setup timer => so the defenders can setup some defence (60 sec)
- Once a team scored (either by capping on defending) the teams switch sides and the map restarts.

Imo this gamestyle would suit a small map better then cp.

EDIT: btw 3 to 5 seconds is a normal capture time, if you go above 10 seconds it would be too long imo.

Last edited:

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
EDIT: btw 3 to 5 seconds is a normal capture time, if you go above 10 seconds it would be too long imo.
Ever stood on the center point of Well or Granary by yourself? 24 seconds.

On the original question: are both points unlocked at the same time? This will have a large effect on it. From the way you word it it sounds like they won't, which means each team will need to capture their nearest point before going after the other. This could end up making the beginning somewhat boring if most of the teams just sit on their point to cap it, and it would then become a 1-cap-to-win game. Which sorta invalidates both ideas...

If you have them both unlocked, I'd go with #2... sounds more fun :)

(this reminds me I should post some data I collected about capture times... might be helpful since you are looking at longer times, as I am)

Logo

L3: Member
Oct 25, 2007
Oh good point forgot to mention that. Yes both points are unlocked.

Only dustbowl style maps and the final points in well/granary have short capture times

marnamai

L1: Registered
Dec 7, 2007
Ever stood on the center point of Well or Granary by yourself? 24 seconds.

Yes I have, funny thing is I got those times from decompiled maps :unsure:

EDIT: center capture point on cp_well

- time to cap: 4 seconds
- number of RED players to cap: 3
- number of BLUE players to cap: 3

or there went something horribly wrong with the decompile process or the "amount of player" required to capture a point increased to time to cap it solo.

Last edited: