Namicott

KotH Namicott rc

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
You could try checking the timestamps on the posts. If you did this, you'd notice it's a very recent map that is still being updated. Just a friendly tip that will actually serve you well everywhere on the internet.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sergis

L666: ])oo]v[
aa
Jul 22, 2009
Btw is this final? You can build sentries and the train doesnt destroy them but passes through them.

goddamnit. just as i promised myself not to touch hammer for the rest of september. i will fix that...sometime. unless a quick and urgent fix will be demanded, then i will break my promise a little bit

Last edited:

waxpax

L5: Dapper Member
Feb 25, 2011
I looked at your map just a little bit ago, I don't think it will really work in 6s. Most of the time while you're on the point, you can't really see where the other team will be coming from and it seems like most of the time, you'd get bombed or dropped on without much notice. I think you need some way to see where the attack will come from or it will just feel unfair and frustrating and it might just come down to whoever takes the point first will win depending on the spawn timers. I think the areas around the train need to be enlarged so that they are more like yards and less choke-y. I also think you should make it so the train kills people, because it's a train, and you need to fix that bug where sentries aren't destroyed by the train.

Sergis

aa
Jul 22, 2009
enlarging areas of a seventh beta that people already are actually having fun on... i don't think im up for this :D i might, however, consider attempting a koth_promicott after i get a good version of namicott out. the stupid sentry bug must be killed, i have no idea how that made thru 15 or so playtests i had.

i disagree with train killing people tho, because it just moves way too slow for that to make sense and a faster train would shift the gameplay focus from fighting other team to chasing the control point and i dont want that.

waxpax

L5: Dapper Member
Feb 25, 2011
Played this earlier tonight. Heavy is nuts on this map since you shut down the major sightlines down the tracks with the doors on each section; the areas in each section are pretty small so you're always engaging people that mid to short range, basically; and you really don't have to worry too much about people corner peeking you since the geometry of the map doesn't really support that tactic very well. I just sat on the point spun up with a medic killing anything that tried to cap and pretty much only jumped off to grab the small ammo boxes that are really close to the track. Spies were the only thing that were really a threat. Idk how you can really fix that without a lot of changes to the map, though. Heavy sort of breaks every koth map, though, since most are so small; I suppose that's a major reason why most koth maps have such powerful sightlines, to directly counter the power of the heavy.

Sergis

aa
Jul 22, 2009
Version B7a has arrived. Changes include:
- reworked skybox
- fixed train not destroying engineer buildings
- fixed multiple clipping errors
- added more metal near tracks
- added windows to spawns

Download: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9180221/TF2/koth_namicott_b7a.bsp.bz2

Unfortunatelly the doors must stay, because otherwise there will be 6500 unit sightline at all times and that is rather unfun for non-snipers :p I tried to block out a wider layout, but ended up with 6000 unit sightline between 2 areas, so they can only be enlarged towards spawns - stretched longer, not wider. I think I will try that, but not anytime soon as the map has worked it's way onto some servers and I don't want them to have to update every 2 weeks.

The last night test I had went well, except for the fact that framerate is now at the point where adding any more detail will create fps drops at the ends of the track. Therefore I hereby make a note to myself to look more into optimization in next version. Widening the areas while keeping door chokes the same might help I guess by having some detail moved away from the track.

Sergis

aa
Jul 22, 2009
If you do an arena version, I think you'd lose the moving train. If you just ported over the current map to arena, it would be too large.

i have closed off the spawnrooms, put spawnpoints right outside the doors and am hoping that it'll be ok :D it will be kinda big, but im hoping it won't be too big.

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
i have closed off the spawnrooms, put spawnpoints right outside the doors and am hoping that it'll be ok :D it will be kinda big, but im hoping it won't be too big.

Well, I'd just keep in mind that if the arena is big, no one will enjoy it because there is a lot of waiting, and finding, etc. Personally I think it'll be too big and that maybe only the middle section with some new flanking routes would be best, but thats just me.

Tell me when you test it, I'll try and join.

Sergis

aa
Jul 22, 2009

Sergis

aa
Jul 22, 2009
tried to place a disabled team_train_watcher to fix the train, it worked apart from cp icon disappearing from hud. ctf cp hybrid hud entity seemed to bring that back, but with the huge ctf hudshowing either [U... or 0:0 so i guess i'm forced to place an intel as a pointer to CP :D

Sergis

aa
Jul 22, 2009
any postimpromptu thoughts?

people didnt seem to have as much fun as on smaller versions. i felt like im in a map made by arnold and sometimes even wider. didnt have any feedback about mapsize from comp guys tho so i guess the idea of "what works in comp works in pub" discussed earlier in chat is a lie and also i wont be able to just use the wider version and must stay with separate comp and pub maps.

to people telling me not to use ctf hud: if i want people not to get stuck in the train, i must use payload logic. if i use payload logic, the CP icon disappears. if i want the CP icon to show, i need ctf/cp hybrid hud (cp master does nothing). if i use hybrid hud with no intel, it shows regular ctf saying 0:0 so i must use intel. and if i must use intel, i might as well put in on the train so it's useful.