Name the best Winter (and snow) themed maps

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
I agree, I think some casual events of our more finished maps would be great, getting people to run events is the hard thing and anyone who has that free time for us is probably going to priortise that for running a Gameday as those are the events people know us for and the events that people will almost definately come to.

I think Mangy'Carface's map for the comp ctf contest was winter themed and was detailied nicely, if anyone can recall the name of that map I nominate that.

You're thinking of ctf_aurora (previously ctf_icefield)

Ælement

Comfortably mediocre
aa
Dec 21, 2010
CTF Melee Fort

You asked for the best winter themed maps. You never said according to whom.

yjFZW.gif

Hanz

Ravin' Rabbid
aa
Jan 18, 2009
Arctic! :D

|
v

Micnax

Back from the dead (again)
aa
Apr 25, 2009
I recall not getting to spend much time on Fusion. Wasn't it one of the contest entries? I want to give it a go again sometime.

That's something we ought to do, schedule an event where we play beta or release-candidate maps that haven't been touched in a long time. Seems like not a lot of them ever get picked up by other publicly listed servers.

I've never played Fusion either, but reading it really makes me want to play it (and I don't want to necrobump a 2 year old thread...)

sitebender

L3: Member
Aug 15, 2012
I've actually started playing some of the maps now that I have time. Expect some possible necro bumping of winter maps :)

For now, I think the best use of my time is to play 2 rounds on each team (with bots) to test everything. Then what I like, I'll come back to... or if I really like it, I'll never leave :)

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
I've actually started playing some of the maps now that I have time. Expect some possible necro bumping of winter maps :)

For now, I think the best use of my time is to play 2 rounds on each team (with bots) to test everything. Then what I like, I'll come back to... or if I really like it, I'll never leave :)

Bots on ctf_fusion is hilarious.
If both flags are picked up, the 2 carriers will try to run into each other as hard as they can, but they won't shoot the other guy at all.

So they continually bump into one another until some backup arrives and kills one of them.

sitebender

Aug 15, 2012
I can't seem to find Fusion. Is there a link? Or was it renamed?

Also the download to Aurora seems to be broken (I told the author in the topic).

Anyway, so far 2 of these maps clearly stand out :) I've got 7 more to go I think. Well 6 + Stoney... which I've played just not in this month. :) I should point out my little prize for this is either a key or the THQ standard bundle. If you already have the bundle, you can just give it to a friend. While these are small gifts, they're still gifts :)

It looks like people posting <3 Glacier, Arctic, Haarp and Boundary

So far my map list is >> Boundary, Arctic, Haarp, Glacier, Aurora, Star, Frosty, Frostfell, Stoneyridge, Obscure, Fusion, Melee Fort, Canada, Snow Fort.

If I'm missing one that someone suggested, please tell me :)

sitebender

Aug 15, 2012
Not to bump this or ignore it... I fell behind this week and never got a chance to test 6 of the maps. So far there are 4 standouts. :)

Arne

Nov 22, 2012
In my opinion the best custom map on tf2maps.net is koth_arctic and cp_galcier.
Valve map is koth_viaduct.

I was like 'thank god' when I found out Acekgimo didn't remove/delete the download to the galcier map in his blog.

xzzy

aa
Jan 30, 2010
cp_glacier looks pretty but I've never enjoyed playing on it.. the layout feels too "big".

sitebender

Aug 15, 2012
Due to lack of time on my part and tallying up what everyone says and my agreement with the recommendations. I think I'll go with Arctic as the winner. :)