Name Question

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by TMB, Apr 30, 2016.

1. TMB

TMB Banned

Positive Ratings:
    How you put a name to a map? I was thinking on names for my map and i dont get good names.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
  2. Yrr

aa Yrr An Actual Deer

Positive Ratings:
    I'd decide a name when it's nearer done and you know exactly what it's gonna be.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Simulacron

Simulacron L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Try to come up with something that is related to your map, for example if your map is in a canyon consider something like this in a name. You can also put two words together to one name like Coldfront, Fastlane,Powerhouse..." If you can't come up with anything try out name generators in the internet, that can help you to get an idea

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
  4. sooshey

aa sooshey :3c

Positive Ratings:
    You can invent a place name too, like badwater basin and thundermountain. If you're not sure what to name it yet, you can go the Muddy route and name it anything, like cp_waffleiron for now until you think of something better. The possibilities are endless

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Doktor Richter

Doktor Richter L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
  6. Crowbar

aa Crowbar perfektoberfest

Positive Ratings:
    I don't really like maps' being named after real place. It's quite boring, unoriginal imo.

7. Muddy

Server Staff Muddy Muddy

Positive Ratings:
    I used to name maps after people. Maps include Donald, Matthew, Sally, Jeanette and Samuel

8. Viperi

aa Viperi not actually a snek

Positive Ratings:
    Oh yeah, isn't Kemptown named after someone? Thomas Kemp was it?

9. MoonFox

MoonFox L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    I learned that Borneo and badwater basin are real places. Also, names are just sometimes place holders, and you could for all intents and purposes call it map_1

10. Yrr

aa Yrr An Actual Deer

Positive Ratings:
    Kemptown is a place near where she lives.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  11. Muddy

Server Staff Muddy Muddy

Positive Ratings:
    It's a town within Brighton actually, but the town was named after someone so you're not entirely wrong. Wikipediaaaaaaa

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. zahndah

aa zahndah professional letter

Positive Ratings:
    Name your maps whatever until its at a state where you think its definitely worth the time to think of a good name (probably around the beta phase). No point wasting good names on discontinued maps!

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Viperi

Positive Ratings:
    Oh, that's interesting.

14. MoonFox

MoonFox L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    speaking of names, I am completely recycling Pathos, so when the time comes, I am going to delete old and redo it

15. theatreTECHIE

aa theatreTECHIE Yet another Techie for the net...

Positive Ratings:
    What quite a few people also do is name the map their own name. An example for me would be cp_theatretechie. This is especially useful in the 72hr events, when you don't have time to come up with a name.

16. EArkham

aa EArkham Necromancer

Positive Ratings:
    Plus you don't end up publically reserving a really great name for a map that you end up abandoning later on.

Before I even make a thread, I go through an early A1 with a very generic name, like "ctf_japan" or "pl_outpost." By the time I realize whether I'm committed enough to the map to release and test it, I'll have come up with a better name.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Viperi

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah, you should use a placeholder unless you know a name you'll stick with or are not going to abandon a map with a good name.