my two incessant errors. i have tried everything.

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Bob Ross, Dec 22, 2009.

1. Bob Ross

Bob Ross L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    ERROR 1:

every time i try to run my map i get the message "engine error: numportals > numareaportals ". everything i have found online says the error is due to leaks but there are no leaks in my map as i have no pointfile and the log reports nothing. what could be causing it?

ERROR 2:

"Error: displacement found on a(n) func_detail entity - not supported (entity 1140, brush 2)"

i have scoured every inch of my map. i have set my visgroups to only func_details and then to only displacements. not a single one of my displacements is set as a func_detail. what on earth is the problem?

i am going insane. ive been trying to fix these for 3 days. heres my log (compiled on all normal settings):

2. Bockagon

Bockagon L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    Error 1:
    There's a problem with your areaportals. Have a look at this thread and try and fix or re-do them.

Error 2:
    In Hammer, go to View>Go To Brush Number and enter the brush number the compiler reported as having the bad displacement (in your case brush 2), it'll take you right to the bad brush.

3. Bob Ross

Positive Ratings:
    1: that is the tut i used to create my area portals in the first place. i dont know what could be wrong with my portals if there are no leaks.

2: i did what you sid and found the brush. it is not a func_detail and never has been.

4. J4CK8

J4CK8 L11: Posh Member

Positive Ratings:
    I've never managed to get areaportals to work for me, got that error all the time. Easiest way around it if they're not that important is to just remove them and come back to them later when the map needs optimization.

5. Exist

Exist L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Just delete your areaportals. They are important, but not in alpha5. Normally, optimization starts towards the end of beta.

The compiler dose not lie. You have to have a Func_detail displacement in there somewhere. Maybe you mashed it with a group of other details. Turn off all auto visgroups but displacements and func_details and make sure select soilds is ticked.
    Then just click every displacement and check them, it but take some time, but if you want it to compile, do this.

6. Bob Ross

Positive Ratings:
    the odd thing is that this eror appeared about a month after i func_detailed and i already had all my displacements finished.

EDIT: i removed the areaportals and the error still hasnt gone away.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
  7. OlafK

OlafK L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    You propably forgot to actually create areaportals. Select only one of them at once, press Ctrl+T, select func_areaportal from list, press Enter, press Apply. Do it to every one of them.

Areaportals do not work like Clip or Skybox, but more like Trigger. You have to tie them to entity.

8. StickZer0

aa StickZer0 💙💙💃💙💙

Positive Ratings:
    I've had this issue with my map. I had accidentally made a roof func_detail, not realising there was a displacement in it. They're sneaky buggers, them. Search anywhere where there is a possible chance this may have happened, it doesn't seem to count as either a displacement OR a func_Detail in the visgroups.

9. Nineaxis

aa Nineaxis Quack Doctor

Positive Ratings:
    This isn't an areaportal issue, at all.

A displacement tied to an entity is a fatal vbsp error, so no pointfile can be generated- just look at the compile log. Nothing is compiling. Naturally, if nothing compiles, it's leaking, because nothing is there.

10. Bob Ross

Positive Ratings:
    but i already deleted the portals :facepalm: oh well. so the problem lies with the displacement.

i went to brush number two as that is where it says my issue is. brush number two is not a func_detail. nevertheless i deleted it. not it says the same thing. that brush 2 is a fun_detail and a displacement at the same time but when i use go to brush it says that there is no brush number 2 in the map.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
  11. Nineaxis

aa Nineaxis Quack Doctor

Positive Ratings:
    Turn on the func_detail visgroup only and find a displacement, or turn on only the displacement visgroup and find one that is func_detail. It's there, the compiler doesn't lie.

12. Nutomic

Nutomic L11: Posh Member

Positive Ratings:
    Try to select your whole map, copy it and put it in a new, empty map, maybe that will help.

13. Fraz

aa Fraz Blu Hatte, Greyscale Backdrop.

Positive Ratings:
    No offence, but why would it help if a displacement is a func_detail? He'd be copying and pasting the func_detail over.

14. Bob Ross

Positive Ratings:
    alright i got it! i juts selected all my fun_details and hit destroy displacement :p but now i have another problem. about half of my lights arent working.