My opinion on the new site update.

Status
Not open for further replies.

iiboharz

eternally tired
aa
Nov 5, 2014
I think the current choice of a medal as the icon to represent a veteran makes sense, as medals are awarded to military personnel after good service. I associate the Proof of Purchase with people who bought the game before a certain date in time. But the Veteran rank is seemingly given to people who reach a certain post count. The term doesn't quite fit but that's a topic for another thread.

The warm colours of the medal prop go well with the background colour of the Veteran mini banner. The white, lightly-shaded border makes the banner stand out from the page slightly, but not too much as to draw undue attention to itself. It also hints of a change in direction of design, and of more changes to come. We should be careful not to judge these small images based on what they are replacing, as that could limit the possibilities. It's important to stay current and that means making changes to visual style.

The wrench icon looked a bit thin to me at first, and I know that someone mentioned that in the chat room. But I looked at it up close and I can see all the details just fine. The banners serve their purpose perfectly and I don't think there are better ways to do them, only different ones.

Thanks for the great feedback!

I've decided to drop the borders after feedback and testing what they look like without borders myself.

I think you've described our design choices perfectly and I appreciate it.

HQDefault

...what
aa
Aug 6, 2014
This is really just a concept, but the idea behind this was to combine parts of the old banner and the new one.

This is what I got.
0oSWDXa.png

It could stand to be a bit more punch, but I like the simplicity of it over the new ones. (I feel like whenever someone tries to redo something old, they always over complicate things and make it seem pretty bleh compared to the old one, and I always miss the subtle simplicity there)

Last edited:

WAXXXLICKER

L1: Registered
May 15, 2015
Hence, why I said it's just a concept. It would probably take me a while to actually do one well.

I think you're wasting time here, bucko. Iibo has a really clean design going on here, and from preview imagery I've seen, at the very least your borderless suggestion is definitely valid and it certainly looks better that way. But your three-tone logo is.... pointless, and certainly not as fun as what's implemented now. Learn to live a little, bub.

Also, that aliasing is DISGUSTING. What, did you make it high-res and scale it down while resampling w/ Nearest Neighbor? Do you even know what I just said?

Last edited:

HQDefault

...what
aa
Aug 6, 2014
I think you're wasting time here, bucko. Iibo has a really clean design going on here, and from preview imagery I've seen, at the very least your borderless suggestion is definitely valid and it certainly looks better that way. But your three-tone logo is.... pointless, and certainly not as fun as what's implemented now. Learn to live a little, bub.

Also, that aliasing is DISGUSTING. What, did you make it high-res and scale it down while resampling w/ Nearest Neighbor? Do you even know what I just said?

If you meant I got it from a high res picture, carried it over to the banner, and then shrunk it down, then yes. It's just to say what I'd be doing. If I was doing this under the thought that it would go in, that whole banner would be drawn by hand. (Except maybe the text)

Now, I need to give you guys a visual as to what I'm talking about. Again, be right back.

EDIT:

Alright, here it is:
0hPCYUT.jpg

Now, this conversation is starting to get a bit negative, and I hate negativity. So, I'm just gonna say all I want right now:
The current banner is a bit bright, and a bit too noisy. I'm not AGAINST the medallion, since everyone seems on board with it, here's all I want: Just soften the picture up a bit to be more solid colors and less details, and tone down the brightness of the banner. I'm not even really against the border all that much either. That's it.

Last edited:

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
I was suddenly very worried my wall of thanks got nerfed. I had to go check, but it still fills my screen so... carry on!

edit: Frozen is no longer blue. This is an outrage. I demand a recall.

I liked the blue, but the Purple is growing on me.

Vel0city

func_fish
aa
Dec 6, 2014
The purple is so hard to read in the thanks posts. Like seriously. It blends too much with the background.

Also,
is kinda true. Flashy colors everywhere on a site that is generally flat with darker colors. It doesn't fit.

Fantaboi

Gone and one day forgotten
aa
Mar 11, 2013
Isn't the old trick to make different colors so they will stand out?

Honestly, it feels so much easier to distern rank without having to look over.

Geit

💜 I probably broke it 💜
aa
May 28, 2009
Unfortunately, I don't think this is possible since you can only be one rank at a time on the site.
Actually, it's possible to have multiple ranks, it just results in too much visual confusion around posts when full width banners are in use.

The purple is so hard to read in the thanks posts. Like seriously. It blends too much with the background.

I've knocked it up a few shades, it's much more readable now imo. Also iibo's revised rank images have been uploaded now, they should appear on your browsers soon (or press ctrl+f5 to force it)

It's worth noting too that the requirements for ranks are going to be shifted around within the next few days so that your rank is based on thank count, rather than raw post count, changes on that will be announced soon.

RubbishyUser

L7: Fancy Member
Feb 17, 2013
So I can only see the borderless icons on SR. staff so far and I already really like it. That's much better in my opinion. Thanks for doing this Ibo!

Kube

Not the correct way to make lasagna
aa
Aug 31, 2014
I was going to make a joke about leaving cosmetics to the TF2 team, but I see we're far past that point.

Bunbun

aa
May 18, 2014
In my opinion, the forums now feel like walking through a dark lane filled with shiny and bright neon signs.

Muddy

Muddy
aa
Sep 5, 2014
It's worth noting too that the requirements for ranks are going to be shifted around within the next few days so that your rank is based on thank count, rather than raw post count, changes on that will be announced soon.

I've said this already in chat but I'll say it here too: I'm not sure about this. In this community, "thanks" doesn't mean "thanks for this useful post" nearly as much as it means "haha this post made me laugh". So rank won't be based on how helpful you are, it'll be based mostly on how often you post in the Steam convo thread.

Fantaboi

Gone and one day forgotten
aa
Mar 11, 2013
I've said this already in chat but I'll say it here too: I'm not sure about this. In this community, "thanks" doesn't mean "thanks for this useful post" nearly as much as it means "haha this post made me laugh". So rank won't be based on how helpful you are, it'll be based mostly on how often you post in the Steam convo thread.

It's more a "Like" button. (Like reddit karma)

But I still think it could be ranked jokingly

Vel0city

func_fish
aa
Dec 6, 2014
Why the new banner? Why? What's up with simplicity? An orange TF logo with a grey Hammer logo on a red background with white letters. What's up with red and white?

At least give an option to go back to the old style you know.

Status
Not open for further replies.