My new project new game modes for valves maps.

gamemaster1996

L13: Stunning Member
Sep 30, 2009

Ok so a few days back i took up a project i thought up involving taking valves maps and adding new game modes the thing is does anybody actually like the map being excactly the same just with a different objective? :mellow:

I beleive not, so i was wondering what new things would people want in these maps?

;) Hope you can help me for ideas sake

gamemaster1996

Sep 30, 2009
Btw sorry i have posted 2 threads in a small space of time the other one was a stupid idea however this isn't.

Dr. Spud

Grossly Incandescent
aa
Mar 23, 2009

I beleive not, so i was wondering what new things would people want in these maps?

I would want them to not exist. Hate to burst your bubble, but this project of yours isn't going to be very popular. :\

When a map would be fun in another gamemode, it's the exception, not the rule.

edit: you're also probably the 35,468th person to have this wonderful idea of swapping gamemodes in valve maps.

Last edited:

gamemaster1996

Sep 30, 2009
Stick to your opinion but i really wanna do this soz btw htf_2fort is actually looking pretty good

Nutomic

L11: Posh Member
Feb 7, 2009
Editing Valve maps usually sucks. I dont want to tell you you mustnt try it, but you shouldnt think it will be a good map, that anybody would play.

Btw: What game mode is htf? Never heard that before.

gamemaster1996

Sep 30, 2009
They might you never though i mean ctf_sawmills good and that was arena

gamemaster1996

Sep 30, 2009
Hold the flag
Btw: What game mode is htf? Never heard that before.

Pilk

L2: Junior Member
Jun 9, 2009
No, really. It won't work out.

Draw some inspiration and see how Valve did it by all means.

Do not modify any existing map.

MoonQuake

L3: Member
Jul 18, 2009
If the goal is simply to swap gamemodes, I also don't agree about the idea too much.

But let's pretend for a sec that you want to make a "specially flavored" version of an existing map...

You see I played Dustbowl with a cart and I quite liked it. Many things were changed too like holes in houses that weren't there before, opened walls, new paths...etc...
Not sure, though, if the map was still balanced.

I don't know if people want modified Valve maps more than new maps, but let's say I type in what I'd want changed or new in these maps:

- New weather condition which could bring new challenges with it like, snowy badwater where there could be snow banks blocking the cart that needs to get shot to push the cart further, slippery ice at some places, fog and snow falling that would make the job difficult for snipers and force them to get close and personal more often. Wind that would make rocket/sticky jumping more difficult.

- Night time Goldrush (not pitch black) lit only by a subtle moon light where the lights are all turned off in the map, except the one in your spawn, then you must progress and push the cart in the dark. The attacking team could light up torches or switch on a circuit panels so the team can see further. This could spawn health and ammo around the newly turned on lights. NO ammo and health on the dark sections so the defending team has a disadvantage there.

All this without changing the core layout and structure of the map.

Things like that. :)

MQ

Last edited:

SPHinx

L2: Junior Member
Aug 29, 2009
One thing I've noticed (which I take to be common) is people just dropping from a server when an odd map comes up. A couple of times, dbheights (a Dustbowl conversion with a payload) shows, the server empties, and the map isn't very fun to play 4v4. It might actually be a good map variation, but it's hard to say if no one is interested in trying it.

This actually seems a problem for custom maps mixed in with normal map rotations. Don't really know what can be done about it, but it is something to think about.

UKCS-Alias

Mann vs Machine... or... Mapper vs Meta?
aa
Sep 8, 2008
They might you never though i mean ctf_sawmills good and that was arena
ctf_sawmill isnt good. its just as stalemate giving as 2fort unless you have an engineer restriction on 1. 2 engineers can easily protect the flag.

Also, koth is what arena should have been and thats why most arena maps also work in koth.

New gamemodes for existing valve maps however isnt such a bad idea as long as the gamemode has been thought out well. sawmill to ctf wasnt and thats why it fails...

The gamemode i came up with was survival (yes, an original gamemode *cough* that wasnt *cough* l4d related *cough*).

Its a quite simple mode in the idea. There is a point of red and blue has to cap it 10 times where the cap time is 24-40 seconds (actualy depends on the map). On each capture blue will get some time added but on each capture this time will be lowered by 20% (starting at 3 minutes added, ends with ~30 seconds). Not only that but blue will also suffer from a longer respawn time while red will have a shorter one. Slowly the sides will turn. However, if blue does it well they can survive all those 10 captures.
There will be a short setup time to allow blue to start capping the point before red can reach it but it wont be long enough to setup any decent defense.
It also supports multiple stages where it ofcourse gets harder for blue to defend the CP or when they lost it take it again.

Teamsides however might have to be switched as red normaly is the defending team. But i told it like this because in the entity system red is already defending as blue is somewhat constantly attacking. (yes, i already started making this gamemode in hammer but i havent fully finished it yet).

The ideal maps for it are koth maps ofcourse but it will also work on a few A/D maps like goldrush/dustbowl (even though the 1st CP might need to be moved a bit closer to red and the 2nd CP is removed completely)

gamemaster1996

Sep 30, 2009
Yes i wasn't just aiming to add gamemodes even though i am i was looking at stuff like weather, tunnels, new places etc.

Also i will try to do weather changes but doesnt always work as my snowy badlands didn't

MoonQuake

Jul 18, 2009
offtopic

The other thread was closed...

But BTW, you don't have to sit there and watch your maps being compiled using Hammer, you can use an external app called VBCT (Valve Batch Compiler Tool)
[ame="http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?t=4814"]VBCT - Valve Batch Compile Tool - TF2Maps.net[/ame]

You can compile with VBCT and work in Hammer at the same time.

/offtopic

:)

MoonQuake

Jul 18, 2009
Usually, new objectives or obstacles are welcome in modified maps.

Last edited:

Tapp

L10: Glamorous Member
Jan 26, 2009
It is generally accepted that the gaming community wants new environments, layouts, and overall variation in new maps. Editing stock maps rarely works out well, as it's essentially the same tired old environment, with the same layout, using a game mode it was never designed for. While there are exceptions, generally it is easier and more effective to simply make your own map. I assure you, 2fort with strobe lights, snow and a payload cart is neither popular nor creative.

UKCS-Alias

Mann vs Machine... or... Mapper vs Meta?
aa
Sep 8, 2008
In the end all game modes are one of 3 things, PL, CP, or CTF, all the new modes are just those 3 with a new twist.
PL = CP with a moving CP :) so thats 2 gamemodes.
It is generally accepted that the gaming community wants new environments, layouts, and overall variation in new maps.
[ame="http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?t=9841"]Find out how popular your maps really are - TF2Maps.net[/ame]

http://www.tf2stats.net/top_maps/ctf/

Count the 2forts and look at their stats to find out. Yes, they do want it.