My map's lighting is messed up when I compile with VIS

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Turtleburger, Mar 21, 2015.

1. Turtleburger

Turtleburger L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I'm pretty new to Hammer, and I've been working on a map for Garry's Mod (even though this site is called "TF2Maps." It's a building map for complex vehicles. The map isn't very large at the moment, but I'm still running into a weird problem. When I compile with VIS, the lighting is fullbright, but there are still dynamic shadows; like from ragdolls or props, but the buildings don't cast any shadows. There are also weird "holes" in the ground in one specific spot. It still has collisions, but it's invisible.

[​IMG]

Any help at all would be appreciated. I can also give you the map file if you want.

Also, there are no leaks in the map. I've checked.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
  2. MoonFox

MoonFox L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    could you include a picture of the hammer work station; it could just be an lighting override

3. Idolon

aa Idolon the worst admin

Positive Ratings:
    You should also share your compile log - usually errors like this will show up. You can also check your compile log yourself here.

4. Turtleburger

Positive Ratings:
    What do you mean by "work station?" I'm not really used to these terms. Do you mean a picture like this?

[​IMG]

Also, I'm a scrub and forgot the compile log.

http://pastebin.com/myZkkRwV

5. Turtleburger

Positive Ratings:
    That's pretty handy, but it didn't find any problems.

6. radarhead

aa radarhead Level 20 "Mapper"

Positive Ratings:
    It looks like you have no skybox or cordon bounds. Your map is leaking, because it is not even the least bit sealed. If any entity in your map is open to the all-encompassing black void, lighting gets messed up and you will experience massive errors.

7. Turtleburger

Positive Ratings:
    I am certain that the map is sealed.

8. radarhead

Positive Ratings:
    If you say so, but I don't see any sealing brushes in your screenshot. Also, those fields around the map are incredibly huge! Large spaces like this have been know to lead to problems as well. Those brushes would be better suited as being a 3D skybox.

9. Idolon

aa Idolon the worst admin

Positive Ratings:
    I'm assuming that you're not too familiar with Garrysmod maps - giant empty fields are pretty much standard fare (and expected).

That being said, going out to the very bounds of what Hammer can handle does tend to break things. I'd bring the bounds in a bit and see if it makes a difference.

10. Turtleburger

Positive Ratings:
    You probably didn't see any sealing brushes because there's a limited view distance in Hammer.

[​IMG]

There is a skybox, and it's correct. I've made sure of that.

11. Turtleburger

Positive Ratings:
    It's not out of bounds. It's actually quite a bit smaller than the maximum size.

12. radarhead

Positive Ratings:
    I'm assuming you already have a light_environment entity in your map? If not, I'd load the pointfile through the map tab to check for tricky hidden leaks.

13. Turtleburger

Positive Ratings:
    Already been done (or rather, couldn't, because it doesn't generate a pointfile if there's no leak).

Also, I do have one. I have a light_environment, env_sun, shadow_control, and an env_fog_controller.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
  14. MoonFox

Positive Ratings:
    two things:
    first: see, that's why you needed the picture of your work station
    and to follow up on your problem. you need a bounding box of sorts, and it appears you are having a lightmap leak

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. Turtleburger

Positive Ratings:
    I actually fixed it somehow by making the skybox thicker. I didn't think that would be a problem, but I guess it is. Thanks for the help.

16. Tumbolisu

aa Tumbolisu  I ⌄ I 

Positive Ratings:
    I don't get why g-mod maps are so fucking huge. If I ever play it, I just stay at the same spot anyways.

17. MoonFox

Positive Ratings:
    I don't get how that works

18. Turtleburger

Positive Ratings:
    Me neither, but it worked...

19. Turtleburger

Positive Ratings:
    It has to be large because it needs areas for testing specific vehicles, including planes, and also has to be large enough for people to have vehicle fights using ACF.