My map's lighting is messed up when I compile with VIS

Turtleburger

L1: Registered
Mar 21, 2015
I'm pretty new to Hammer, and I've been working on a map for Garry's Mod (even though this site is called "TF2Maps." It's a building map for complex vehicles. The map isn't very large at the moment, but I'm still running into a weird problem. When I compile with VIS, the lighting is fullbright, but there are still dynamic shadows; like from ragdolls or props, but the buildings don't cast any shadows. There are also weird "holes" in the ground in one specific spot. It still has collisions, but it's invisible.

IcZft8L.jpg

Any help at all would be appreciated. I can also give you the map file if you want.

Also, there are no leaks in the map. I've checked.

Last edited:

MoonFox

L10: Glamorous Member
Mar 17, 2015
could you include a picture of the hammer work station; it could just be an lighting override

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008
You should also share your compile log - usually errors like this will show up. You can also check your compile log yourself here.

Turtleburger

Mar 21, 2015
It looks like you have no skybox or cordon bounds. Your map is leaking, because it is not even the least bit sealed. If any entity in your map is open to the all-encompassing black void, lighting gets messed up and you will experience massive errors.

I am certain that the map is sealed.

radarhead

Basically? Kind of a Huge Mess
aa
Mar 6, 2013
I am certain that the map is sealed.

If you say so, but I don't see any sealing brushes in your screenshot. Also, those fields around the map are incredibly huge! Large spaces like this have been know to lead to problems as well. Those brushes would be better suited as being a 3D skybox.

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008
If you say so, but I don't see any sealing brushes in your screenshot. Also, those fields around the map are incredibly huge! Large spaces like this have been know to lead to problems as well. Those brushes would be better suited as being a 3D skybox.

I'm assuming that you're not too familiar with Garrysmod maps - giant empty fields are pretty much standard fare (and expected).

That being said, going out to the very bounds of what Hammer can handle does tend to break things. I'd bring the bounds in a bit and see if it makes a difference.

Turtleburger

Mar 21, 2015

You probably didn't see any sealing brushes because there's a limited view distance in Hammer.

M2dAfvv.jpg

There is a skybox, and it's correct. I've made sure of that.

Turtleburger

Mar 21, 2015
I'm assuming that you're not too familiar with Garrysmod maps - giant empty fields are pretty much standard fare (and expected).

That being said, going out to the very bounds of what Hammer can handle does tend to break things. I'd bring the bounds in a bit and see if it makes a difference.

It's not out of bounds. It's actually quite a bit smaller than the maximum size.

Turtleburger

Mar 21, 2015
I'm assuming you already have a light_environment entity in your map? If not, I'd load the pointfile through the map tab to check for tricky hidden leaks.

Already been done (or rather, couldn't, because it doesn't generate a pointfile if there's no leak).

Also, I do have one. I have a light_environment, env_sun, shadow_control, and an env_fog_controller.

Last edited:

MoonFox

Mar 17, 2015
two things:
first: see, that's why you needed the picture of your work station
and to follow up on your problem. you need a bounding box of sorts, and it appears you are having a lightmap leak

Turtleburger

Mar 21, 2015
two things:
first: see, that's why you needed the picture of your work station
and to follow up on your problem. you need a bounding box of sorts, and it appears you are having a lightmap leak

I actually fixed it somehow by making the skybox thicker. I didn't think that would be a problem, but I guess it is. Thanks for the help.

MoonFox

Mar 17, 2015
I actually fixed it somehow by making the skybox thicker. I didn't think that would be a problem, but I guess it is. Thanks for the help.
I don't get how that works

Turtleburger

Mar 21, 2015
I don't get why g-mod maps are so fucking huge. If I ever play it, I just stay at the same spot anyways.

It has to be large because it needs areas for testing specific vehicles, including planes, and also has to be large enough for people to have vehicle fights using ACF.