My map won't compile

Minelord

L1: Registered
Jul 28, 2022
Whenever I try to compile, this is what the process window says

** Executing...
** Command: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\bin\vbsp.exe"
** Parameters: -game "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\pl_shinto.vmf"

* Could not execute the command:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\bin\vbsp.exe" -game "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\pl_shinto.vmf"
* Windows gave the error message:
"Access is denied."

** Executing...
** Command: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\bin\vvis.exe"
** Parameters: -game "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\pl_shinto"

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\bin\vvis.exe" -game "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\pl_shinto"
"Access is denied."

** Executing...
** Command: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\bin\vrad.exe"
** Parameters: -both -game "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\pl_shinto"

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\bin\vrad.exe" -both -game "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\pl_shinto"
"Access is denied."

** Executing...
** Command: Copy File
** Parameters: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\pl_shinto.bsp" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf\maps\pl_shinto.bsp"

All of the existing areas where people said they had this problem had answers that didn't work or I didn't understand, so can anyone help tell me what this means?

spruce

L2: Junior Member
Aug 14, 2022
Have you tried opening Hammer as administrator? also try taking the .bsp out of Program Files into (for example) your Desktop and compile it there to see what happens.

Minelord

Jul 28, 2022
Have you tried opening Hammer as administrator? also try taking the .bsp out of Program Files into (for example) your Desktop and compile it there to see what happens.
I have tried both of those things, and neither worked, in fact, its not even making a BSP file when I try to compile

spruce

Aug 14, 2022
Try making a New .vmf, copy everything from the map onto the new .vmf, save the new one and then try to compile it, if this works the previous .vmf was corrupted

Minelord

Jul 28, 2022
Try making a New .vmf, copy everything from the map onto the new .vmf, save the new one and then try to compile it, if this works the previous .vmf was corrupted
It doesnt work with any map, created new or an old one

spruce

Aug 14, 2022
Kind of running out of ideas:

It says access denied so it's a permission issue, If administrator doesn't fix it, disabling your anti-virus might, If that also does not work I guess Verifying integrity of game files on TF2's properties in Steam to get a fresh Hammer.exe is a good attempt

Actually, do you even have Steam open? I once forgot to open Steam and Hammer kinda didn't compile for me, just another possibility.

Minelord

Jul 28, 2022
Kind of running out of ideas:

It says access denied so it's a permission issue, If administrator doesn't fix it, disabling your anti-virus might, If that also does not work I guess Verifying integrity of game files on TF2's properties in Steam to get a fresh Hammer.exe is a good attempt

Actually, do you even have Steam open? I once forgot to open Steam and Hammer kinda didn't compile for me, just another possibility.
Thank you, it was verifying the game files that fixed it