My map won't compile VIS

Kunny

L2: Junior Member
Jan 2, 2017
Below is all that shows up under VIS

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Running command: cd "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\bin"

Running command: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\bin\vvis.exe" -game "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\sourcesdk_content\mapsrc\trade_moonplaza_v5"

Valve Software - vvis.exe (May 21 2020)
4 threads
reading c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\team fortress 2\sourcesdk_content\mapsrc\trade_moonplaza_v5.bsp
reading c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\team fortress 2\sourcesdk_content\mapsrc\trade_moonplaza_v5.prt
LoadPortals: couldn't read c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\team fortress 2\sourcesdk_content\mapsrc\trade_moonplaza_v5.prt

Kunny

Jan 2, 2017
Here's the vmf

Attachments

• trade_moonplaza_v5.vmf
    2.5 MB · Views: 79

ThenNothing

L1: Registered
Jul 26, 2019
Looks like you have some leaks. The first one I noticed thanks to a pointfile (If you have leaks, Map > Load Pointfile shows you where the leak is) is due to you having grouped your skybox into a func_detail. Func_details are completely ignored by vvis and are used to speed up compiles, but because it's ignored it just sees an empty hole into the void here.
upload_2021-4-25_12-51-44.png

EDIT: To fix the func_details, either remake the brushes or move them to the world, untying them from the func_detail. It's also worth changing some of your textures that are in the void to nodraw for optimisation.

Last edited:

Kunny

Jan 2, 2017
Wow, thanks a lot. I was wondering why the point file was seemingly leading to nowhere. Thanks a million

ThenNothing

L1: Registered
Jul 26, 2019
No problem. I'm currently looking for any other problem func_detail brushes but vvis is taking a very long time which suggests there's probably more leaks. I suggest just going through the process of finding a problem brush, moving it to the world (using this handy button
upload_2021-4-25_13-3-16.png
) and then compiling again until it's all patched up. Good luck!