my map on steam workshop won't download?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by damnedge, May 3, 2016.

1. damnedge

damnedge L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I released my map cp_viper_industries to the steam workshop, I deleted (renamed the original file) so I could get the workshop (smaller file) to test and after subscribing , the map isnt there in my games list or even in my tf2 folder anywhere, does anyone know what the problem is or a solution?

2. damnedge

damnedge L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I found my map had downloaded to
    STEAM\SteamApps\workshop\content\440\675046414\
    instead of inside the
    STEAM\SteamApps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf\maps
    where tf2 will actually pick up what maps are inside and I had cut and paste my map to this folder

this is clearly a VALVE issue

3. Nicky

aa Nicky Lets try something new!

Positive Ratings:
    This is how Valve set it up, and it's been the same way since the map workshop came out. I wouldn't call it an issue and blame Valve, it just a little inconvenient.

4. Vel0city

aa Vel0city func_fish

Positive Ratings:
    It's a weird decision on Valve's part. You have no idea how many maps on the workshop have comments like "I downloaded the map but can't find it in tf2 pls help". I don't understand why it's outside the TF2 filesystem in the first place.

5. CommodoreKong

aa CommodoreKong

Positive Ratings:
    I feel like the command they created to run a workshop map on a local server is pretty inconvenient also, the map workshop/ part is fine, it should be different from normal map downloads but having to put in the map/workshop ID number is pretty inconvenient. I wish it worked like the normal command when you could just put in the map name and the ones already in the folder automatically showed up. Hopefully they'll change it at some point.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Nicky

aa Nicky Lets try something new!

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah, I remember when they first announced the workshop, I put my map on it, and spent like 3 hours making a server and figuring out all the commands needed to check for updates to the map, download updates if needed, and switch to the map. So it could automatically run workshop maps.

7. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    It's probably because otherwise, if two people decided to post maps with the same name, it would completely break the system.