my map just was deleted

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by ( INSERT NAME HERE ), Feb 18, 2017.

1. ( INSERT NAME HERE )

( INSERT NAME HERE ) L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    one day i just went into hammer to work on a hard working koth map but when i went into my file for the map there was nothing there just blackness, i tried restarting my computer, to opening different files but nothing worked. i don't want to have to lose hard work like that so if i can some how get it back i would really appreciate it.

2. sooshey

aa sooshey :3c

Positive Ratings:
    Unfortunately there isn't a way to reverse this, but you can do one of two things to recover some of your work. If you had autosave turned on, great! Just go load one of those and carry on. If not, then take the most recent bsp of your map and decompile it using BSPSource; it will be mostly intact. If you haven't compiled your map recently or at all, then I'm sorry, but it's gone. Hammer is an ancient, buggy software and it's best to take preventative measures for when -- not if -- something goes wrong

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    And you tried opening the .vmx file yet, or no?

4. Crash

aa Crash func_nerd

Positive Ratings:
  5. ( INSERT NAME HERE )

Positive Ratings:
    whats a vmx file, is it the same as a vmf ?

6. Necrσ

aa Necrσ

Positive Ratings:
    A vmx is just a backup of a vmf, to use it just change the file extension from vmx to vmf

7. 【EmNudge】

【EmNudge】 L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    The problem with BSPSource is that it mostly seems to delete or displace many props. Is there a way to ensure most of the map stays intact when decompiling?

8. killohurtz

aa killohurtz Distinction in Applied Carving

Positive Ratings:
    I'm pretty sure that's not just a BSPSource problem. There's an ancient bug that deletes every entity in a vmf if you choose to re-save the map with invalid solids removed when prompted. As long as you don't click "yes" you'll be fine. I haven't seen this happen in a long time though, so I assume it's been fixed and only happens to vmfs decompiled from older bsps.

9. 【EmNudge】

【EmNudge】 L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    It's not that entities get deleted, it's the prop models I have getting moved and deleted. These bugs usually happen when decompiling maps and getting something similar to this error message:
    [​IMG]

I then have to add an ending curly brace ( } )to the vmf file for it to run, since it usually stops before closing off an entity. I don't even get an error message about invalid solids when opening it up. The map will not open in hammer if I don't add that curly brace and will instead crash.

10. ( INSERT NAME HERE )

Positive Ratings:
    where do i find the vmx files?

11. Crowbar

aa Crowbar perfektoberfest

Positive Ratings:
    The same place you save(d) VMFs.