My Map Crashes Others Server

Jul 21, 2016
I requested someone to play my map on his server, but when he does it crashes the server. My map was played on a tf2maps server and was fine (for me atleast). It isn't optimized because it's in development, probably didn't do it in the order I should have done it in, but does anything like optimization effect if the map can be ran on the server? In case anyone needs the map, https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1360635602

[Rx.] Christian Troy

L5: Dapper Member
Jan 23, 2017
Does the server only crash with your map?

If the sever has some mods on it that could likely be the actual cause as well.

[Rx.] Christian Troy

Jan 23, 2017
Seems to load up just fine for me (nice lookin map btw). There are errors in the console but nothing that would cause a server to crash. I'm kinda stumped if it ran fine on the tf2maps server and just now on a listen server. Did the server owner mention any errors reported in the dedicated server console when the map crashes?

Jul 21, 2016
All he said is that when trying to run the map the server will crash. He always uses workshop maps, im not sure if there is a problem with the workshop that could make it so my map isn't playable on his server. I heard something about nav meshes not working right with the workshop, but my map doesn't contain any. He also didn't mention any errors in the console.

14bit

L14: Bit Member
aa
Oct 5, 2014
If I remember correctly, this map crashed the TF2maps servers every time we tried to test it for the first round of voting for Connect 5. It didn't crash right away; only after playing it for a bit. I have no idea what would cause it, but just know that it did crash on the TF2maps servers too.

Jul 21, 2016
On the other persons servers it wouldn't even load. My map is pretty big and has lots of fog and props. Ive never had lag on any maps, even maps with horrible optimization so I don't really know if the map somehow is just to big for the server or something. Maybe it's just to much for the game to handle. Also, I can't even load the map in Hammer anymore. It just stayed at 5% for an hour or 2.

[Rx.] Christian Troy

Jan 23, 2017
The only other thing I can think of to check is the server logs if any are available. Usually the last few lines in the error logs will give an idea of what happened and hopefully points to what caused it.

Jul 21, 2016
Almost a week later, and a though just occurred, I heard somewhere that the displacement power, if set to 4, will crash the map?

DrSquishy

we've all had better times to die
aa
Feb 10, 2017
Almost a week later, and a though just occurred, I heard somewhere that the displacement power, if set to 4, will crash the map?
Power 4 displacements can cause wierd physics issues, I believe it is mainly things like 'crashing the server/client if a demoman pill hits it'

Da Spud Lord

Occasionally I make maps
aa
Mar 23, 2017
Power 4 displacements can cause wierd physics issues, I believe it is mainly things like 'crashing the server/client if a demoman pill hits it'
The problem can be more accurately described as any physics object (ie demo pills, ragdolls, etc) hitting any displacement with a high vertex density (as in the displacement vertices are very close together). This can occur with any power displacement, but is easier to achieve with power 4 displacements as higher powers mean more vertices. If your brush face is large enough, power 4 displacements shouldn't cause server crashes. Despite this, using power 4 displacements is still not recommended as power 4 displacements cannot be compressed, thus requiring more memory (or something like that, I'm not completely sure). It is basically always recommended to split your power 4 displacements into multiple power 3 displacements.

Jul 21, 2016
I just checked and my map has no displacements. I also noticed that im getting this error message on my screen that reads "Warning: overflowed CClientrenderableslist group 7". Could this be the cause of my map crashing?

Da Spud Lord

Occasionally I make maps
aa
Mar 23, 2017
That warning usually occurs on large, open maps with lots of things that need to be rendered. Can you post a screenshot of your map with the overflow warning?

Jul 21, 2016
This is the only spot ive noticed it in. It is a symmetrical map so maybe it shows on the other side as well.

Attachments

• roadblockimagethingy.jpg
    roadblockimagethingy.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 163