My Introduction

da703337

L1: Registered
May 12, 2022
I like playing TF2 and wanted to make maps, which I also tried to do with other games. Slowly getting better, already made one simple map so far, however it was too small to be played with anything but bots or friends.

worMatty

Repacking Evangelist
aa
Jul 22, 2014
Welcome.

What sort of maps are you interested in making?

da703337

L1: Registered
May 12, 2022
Primarily KOTH, but I might make some arena maps. However it does seem (based on what I’ve seen and heard within the general TF2 community on YouTube and in-game) that nobody plays arena maps anymore.

worMatty

Repacking Evangelist
aa
Jul 22, 2014
That is my assessment as well. Even those variants which alleviate some of the common complaints don't seem to see any activity. But then, what custom combat map *does* see activity outside of those which are selected to be included in the game?

I usually advise people not to bother with KoTH maps as there isn't much you can do to make an original and engaging layout that significantly changes the gameplay. I think that's why novelty maps are popular. The layout in those often doesn't matter but people seem to like new forms of objectives and obstacles, as well as theming.

I think Attack/Defence maps are a good place to start because they teach people about difficulty ramping, territory control, blocking structures, retreats, flanks, class-suited routes and architecture, etc. and you have a lot more room to experiment and to create something different. But I haven't built a combat map in a long time.