My first map (a_i_swamphuts) + lots of questions

phoenixfire2001

L1: Registered
Feb 6, 2010
Hi there!

I just recently picked up hammer editor and decided to make a swamp themed map using the awesome swamp pack!
I call it achievement_idle_swamphuts(_v1 so far).

Here's a screenshot:
achievement_idle_swamphuts_v1.jpg

Download:
HERE

Here are my questions:
-I had to do such high walls because the skybox position seems messed up. Without walls, while standing on flat ground it would show a line in the skybox (I assume where it ends or something) which looks horrible. Is there any way to move the sky part more down, so the "horizon thingy" is under the water surface? (you can also see the horizon in the screenie)

-Is there any way to move the moon to another position? I'd want the environmental light to come from the middle of the map...

-Originally, I wanted to give the impression that the map is situated in the middle of nowhere, in a foggy swamp, surrounded by fences. However I couldn't manage to do it...
--How would you go on about fencing the whole area? Is it done with prop_statics? (it would have to be a rather high fence from bottom water level to "rocketjump level")
--Is there any way to let the map "fade out" after a certain distance after the fences (sorta like fog)? Giving it the impression that the water is endless...

-Is there any way to stop the rain under water? I couldn't find any question like that on the forums.. maybe some box that only collides particles??
I used the rain 001 collide from the swamp pack.

-Is there any way to control how far you can see and in what color your screen is tinted under water? I'd want to lower it a bit and make it a darker color (murky water)

-How can you make lamps light up? For example the lightpost lamp in the swamp pack. Even when I place a light entity around it it looks like it's OFF. And on the same thing: How can I make them flicker like the options in a light entity?

-Can anybody play or host the map now, or do you need the swamp pack installed? 4MB doesn't seem like a lot considering it uses all that "custom" stuff.

-Finally:
-Would anybody with an idle server put it up? If so give me your IP, I'd love to hang around some times

-What do you think of the map? I hope it's not too bad for a first timer lol.

Tapp

L10: Glamorous Member
Jan 26, 2009
-Is there any way to move the moon to another position? I'd want the environmental light to come from the middle of the map...

No, the moon is painted into the skybox. If you redid the skybox you could move it, but not now.

-Originally, I wanted to give the impression that the map is situated in the middle of nowhere, in a foggy swamp, surrounded by fences. However I couldn't manage to do it...

Fences are relatively easy to put in, and make fine boundaries. However, nobody likes seeing a perfect rectangle made of fences. make some cliffs out of displacements and use dense trees to block out the edges.

--How would you go on about fencing the whole area? Is it done with prop_statics? (it would have to be a rather high fence from bottom water level to "rocketjump level")

The fences are prop_statics, they are under props_gameplay. You do not need a ridiculously high fence, just put in a player clip. Players understand that fences mean impassable boundary.

--Is there any way to let the map "fade out" after a certain distance after the fences (sorta like fog)? Giving it the impression that the water is endless...

env_fog_controller colours depending on distance, but such a large amount of water would be too costly. If you create a 3d skybox with cheap water, you could get a reasonable distance, but it would be unrealistic to have an infinite plane of water. Use a good quantity of swamp trees, skycards and cliffs to block visibility. Players will assume that it continues like that beyond the extent of the map

-Is there any way to stop the rain under water? I couldn't find any question like that on the forums.. maybe some box that only collides particles??
I used the rain 001 collide from the swamp pack.

Underwater rain isn't very important, but if you absolutely cannot live with it, rain has a certain height at which it simply disappears. Put the rain this height above your water, and it will work. Also, don't forget to add splashing puddles on the water's surface. That will help make it look realistic.

-Is there any way to control how far you can see and in what color your screen is tinted under water? I'd want to lower it a bit and make it a darker color (murky water)

Currently one cannot cheaply do this, so I would recommend leaving it.

-How can you make lamps light up? For example the lightpost lamp in the swamp pack. Even when I place a light entity around it it looks like it's OFF. And on the same thing: How can I make them flicker like the options in a light entity?

an env_sprite (set the render mode to work space glow) an env_lightglow and for spotlight a point_spotlight all create lighting effects. flickering lights are not recommended, as a single flickering light dramatically increases your file size. Having 3 doubles your file size, and having 4 will quadruple it. Each flickering light you add will double the size of your lightmap file size, and is not recommended.

-Can anybody play or host the map now, or do you need the swamp pack installed? 4MB doesn't seem like a lot considering it uses all that "custom" stuff.

Use pakrat to add any swamp additions you are currently using.

-Finally:
-Would anybody with an idle server put it up? If so give me your IP, I'd love to hang around some times

While your map is good for a first map, idle maps do not have a very large market. Idlers do not care what your map looks like, and servers want the smallest, simplest map possible.

-What do you think of the map? I hope it's not too bad for a first timer lol.

The map looks okay, especially for a first time. You will want to fix up the boundary, and change the roofs on the houses (or at least set the texture scale up).
[/QUOTE]