MVM using the Frontline payload-tank

Arrhythmia

L1: Registered
Jul 21, 2016
I'm trying to make an mvm map that has the pushable tank shown in the demo, where the idea is that the payload wouldn't be delivered anywhere, and function more as a weapon for players. you would start with 2 tanks, one for each bot path, and then you could push them to a certain point in the map, and players could press a button to make the payload fire at a certain spot once it was fully pushed, but someone would have to be near it so it doesn't roll back to the starting position.

I'm a little bit new to hammer, I have all of the basics down, I know how to do everything I can see myself needing to make this. However, I've never seen the stuff in frontline before and I was hoping someone could help me out in what I would need to get started when trying to edit the new tank for this particular thing.

killohurtz

Distinction in Applied Carving
aa
Feb 22, 2014
Since the tank only comes with a limited number of preset animations and doesn't technically "fire" any sort of projectile, you'd have to manually set up all of the locations the tank can fire from and the resulting explosions. Players could choose when to fire the tank if you enabled a damage-activated func_button once it reaches its destination.

As for the rollback issue, you can actually disable this in the tank's associated team_train_watcher entity (Allow the train to recede?).

Arrhythmia

L1: Registered
Jul 21, 2016
I looked at the tank and tried fiddling with it for a while but, what part of the tank controls what direction it fires? Like, if I wanted a button to be pressable once players pushed the tank to the top of a hill, what controls the inputs and outputs telling the tank how and where to point the cannon?

Sep 10, 2015
I looked at the tank and tried fiddling with it for a while but, what part of the tank controls what direction it fires? Like, if I wanted a button to be pressable once players pushed the tank to the top of a hill, what controls the inputs and outputs telling the tank how and where to point the cannon?

That's just an animation. The input to change the animation would be SetAnimation, with an override of the animations name. But since they're animations, there's a limited number of direction the turret can turn. To make them fire, you could use a tf_point_weapon_mimic, which would fire an actual rocket, and would allow you to set the damage, model, and splash radius, among other things.