MvM maps testing event

Dayal

L3: Member
Feb 8, 2017
Hello everyone!

There's this problem where map makers can't really test their MvM maps properly and that it is a rather tedious process. Also vice versa, where people who want to test MvM maps, they don't know when and where. We want to partially solve this problem by organizing an event where map makers who want to get their maps tested get a chance to do so. Here, on Sigsegv's MvM servers.

How does this work? Simple, if this event gets enough attention in the form of map testing requests, we will announce an event that will last a certain amount of days (depending on the amount of maps) where we will regurarly test maps. You post your map download along with the nav file and mission(s) here, in this thread, or alternatively, in Sigegv's Steam group thread. And mention wether or not you want to be included in the test.

We also offer the option to either test the map with an experienced team, or a team similar to a Mann Up game, it's your call. Although do keep in mind that the experienced team request doesn't really have a set time to when they can play.

Sigsegv's MvM server are modded servers though, meaning they don't exactly function like the vanilla MvM gamemode. However,these mods should in no way give you different feedback than you'd get in a vanilla test run.

When will the event start? We don't know yet, this mostly depends on if there will be enough maps that needs to be tested in the first place and if so, how many of them there would be. If it appears that the interest is too low, there won't be an event. Although don't be afraid, we will still test your map, just not in event style.

How will you receive feedback? Sigsegv's servers don't have a feedback plugin, this is why we offer the option of if the map creator wants to be in the testing session or not. Although we do support a demo recording feature, which you can ask for if you want to take a look.

Also, one more thing, if you want your map to be tested, make sure it's mostly functional. E.g. functional pathing, bots capable of spawning, fully completable popfile, etc. We're not expecting you to submit flawless maps, but atleast make sure we're able to complete the mission without too many technical difficulties.

Happy mapping!

Last edited:

Dayal

Feb 8, 2017
The experienced group is a bit irregular when it comes to a set time, but normally it should be around 8pm GMT till midnight. But that mostly depends on the interests of the players, since this will most likely be a private testing session, which mappers/mission creators can join. The Mann Up group will probably be available the majority of the time, considering there are always people available. Be it either from the MvM groups or Discords and maybe if I'm allowed to ask staff members of TF2Maps to announce an event for the people in the TF2Maps Discord, since that's how most imps get announced iirc.

Oh, and a detail I've forgot to mention. Sig's server is located on the east coast of the US, Newark NJ. Though I haven't really experienced any lag issues as an EU player, if you're a bit concerned about that, it should be fine.

Fillmore

L5: Dapper Member
Jul 20, 2014
Well, let's set the bar low to start things off:
Map name: Shiverpeak
Missions: Bigrock or Rottenburg, both are in the .zip file (I'll let a coinflip decide which of the two it's gonna be)
Other things: I intend to be there for the test (I prefer direct feedback over reading or watching demos)

Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/pgc3dqz9s0czqis/coldtown.zip?dl=1
GSLLd2n.jpg

Last edited:

red3pit

High on melancholy
aa
Dec 3, 2016
Since I don't have anything better to do with this map:
Name: mvm_snowyard_a2
Missions: advanced & advanced2; these are just some missions from ingame maps, I forgot which ones to be fair. Both are packed in .zip file.
Known issue is that holograms tend to not work properly. Tried to fix that plenty times, with help and without, they are just broken.
Also I packed nav and pop files into the bsp, but dunno if they'll work.
Link: https://tf2maps.net/downloads/snowyard.5439/

And a nice photo:
upload_2018-3-11_14-40-3.jpeg

(map is bit brighter now, screenshot is from a1[i think{i haven't touched this map in three five months, okay?!}])

Dayal

Feb 8, 2017
https://tf2maps.net/downloads/quetzal.5749/
Mostly feedback regarding aesthetics and missions.
20180304160208_1.jpg

A bit of an update regarding the event:
Currently there are only 3 maps for it, which isn't quite enough to organize an event for, I'm looking more for 5 maps or so.
I'm going to wait till the 28th of March, hopefully another couple of maps will pop up or so. If it turns out that that's not the case, no worries, we'll still test the maps and I'll warn the creators when we're about to test them.

SnickerPuffs

(*single chuckle*)
aa
Apr 10, 2014
I'm considering updating the missions on Helix. Might not, but it'll still be nice to get feedback.

Name : mvm_helix_b2a
Mission : Intermediate or Normal
Other Notes : "Normal" is the least developed and objectively-worse of the two. I suggest playing "Intermediate".

Download : http://tf2maps.net/downloads/helix.4178/download?version=9835

kgvxcPm.jpg

Dayal

Feb 8, 2017
After some planning, I've decided to start the event on the 6th of April ongoing till the 8th. We've got 5 maps so far, maybe a 6th one as well. You can still submit/update your map till the 6th. Please make sure that missions are completable. Will post a link tomorrow to an announcement on Sig's group with more of the details.

Dayal

Feb 8, 2017
Announcement has been posted: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/sigpipe#announcements/

Basically:
Hello everyone

The date for the event will start on the 6th of April and will end on the 8th. How will the event go?

Well, there are going to be 3 servers, 2 that people can join freely and 1 which is going to be password protected. The open servers are going to have a set timeschedule. This schedule will start and end at a certain time. This time has yet to be decided since I'm still waiting on a possible 6th map, but it's going to start around late afternoon EU time and end around evening US time.

Each map will be tested at a set time. This period most likely going to last for 2 hours. When the time has passed, an admin will join and will do a force change to the next map, depending on how far the people are in the mission ofcourse. Don't worry, the event lasts 3 days and the schedule will change daily to add some variety to people living in different timezones.

When the last map of the day has been tested, players are required to leave and the server will be locked untill the next playsession starts on the following day. We will post an event notification whenever the playtest sessions start.

As for the private server. This is a server the map maker can book to playtest his/her map with an experienced group of MvM players at any time of the day. Although do keep in mind that we need to organize 5/6 players to be available at the same time. So the playsession might not be on the exact time you want it to be, but we'll try our best.

For map makers only:
To book a server, go to this website. Only map makers are allowed to book a server, keep that in mind. Only use Sigsegv's Improved MvM Servers option!! Days are Friday, Saturday and Sunday. It doesn't matter what you fill in for the group question.

Map makers can ask an admin, who has acces to the demos, of the group (or me) for the demos of the map's playtest sessions, in case they couldn't attend the playtesting of their map.

Have a nice day.

(P.S. There seems to be an iffy crash error regarding tanks in MvM servers, I hope it'll get fixed before the event starts, but I felt like mentioning it.)

Last edited:

Simulacron

L-3: Simulated Member
aa
Feb 17, 2016
A little bit late, but hopefully still in time:

Name: mvm_logvalley_b7
Mission: mvm_logvalley_b7 (There are no differente missions yet, mainly because I'm just getting into writing missions)
Download: http://tf2maps.net/downloads/logvalley.5853/
Feedback: Feedback is appreciated on anything (layout, detailing, mission)

Notes: If it would be ok for all others that uploaded before me I would like my map tested Friday or Saturday (6th or 7th).

20180330101620_1.jpg

Dayal

Feb 8, 2017
You're not too late.

But we're a bit in a pickle at the moment. The servers still need to be set up and a couple of maps still need to be uploaded/updated. The only one who can do this is Sigsegv and he's currently experiencing some issues. Hopefully we can get this sorted out before the event starts. But don't be surprised if it's delayed a bit.

Dayal

Feb 8, 2017
I'm mostly gonna post when the event starts on Sigsegv's group. Since Potato's now has 9k members and whenever you post an event there, the server gets bombarded with connections and I'd rather want to keep it simple and calm for this event and see how it goes. I can always post it on Potato's if it turns out there aren't enough people.

As for a schedule. I already have one made (or almost because a last minute map got added), however, since Sigsegv is experiencing some issues and still needs to arrange some stuff regarding the event. I don't want to post it yet. Because if I did and it turns out he can't get things sorted out by the time the event starts, the schedule might get screwed up. So hopefully I get the chance to post the schedule later today or tomorrow.

Dayal

Feb 8, 2017
Sigsegv has managed to sort everything out for the event, so I'll post the time schedule. Each map will receive a 1 hour and 15 minutes playtest time, instead of the 2 hours I mentioned a couple of days ago. Since a 14 hour game day might be a bit too long. I'll post an event in Sigsegv's group whenever the event starts.

Friday (+1 GMT)
6:00 pm: Helix
7:15 pm: Snowyard
8:30 pm: Quetzal
9:45 pm: Shiverpeak
11:00 pm: Logvalley
12:15 am: Grassrun
1:30 am: Trainyard
3:00 am: Closing server

Saturday (+1 GMT)
6:00 pm: Grassrun
7:15 pm: Trainyard
8:30 pm: Logvalley
9:45 pm: Snowyard
11:00 pm: Helix
12:15 am: Shiverpeak
1:30 am: Quetzal
3:00 am: Closing server

Sunday (+1 GMT)
4:00 pm: Shiverpeak
5:15 pm: Quetzal
6:30 pm: Trainyard
7:45 pm: Logvalley
9:00 pm: Grassrun
10:15 pm: Snowyard
11:30 pm: Helix
1:00 am: Closing server

The IPs of the public servers:
mvm.sigpipe.info:27116
mvm.sigpipe.info:27117

I'll notify the map maker when the private playsession starts via Discord. I'm going to assume they'll be online around that time since it's their booking. I'll also give them the necessary info with the IP and password.

This is the time schedule for the public servers by the way, the bookings from the map makers aren't related to this schedule at all.

Last edited:

Simulacron

L-3: Simulated Member
aa
Feb 17, 2016
Just a quick questions for the times: Does the +1 GMT mean all times listed are the GMT plus one hour? (for example: 6pm in the list is 5pm in GMT) Or is the +1 for the recent change between summer and winter time in europe?