MVM Map causing "Out of memory or address space" crash

Evatron

L1: Registered
Oct 23, 2021
I am getting the "out of memory or address space" crash on my MVM map. It only seems to occur when the bots begin shooting after the wave starts. in the console i am getting "SV_Startsound: [filename].wav not precached (0)" spammed if there is any relation?

Any help much appreciated i am totally stumped.

CONCLUSIVE UPDATE: the crash was caused by an error i made in the population file. a tank on another part of the map was spawning about 5 seconds after the wave started instead of at the end like it was supposed to. i am not sure why it would cause the game to crash but the problem here is now fixed regardless.

Last edited:

Box Of Paper

L3: Member
Jul 15, 2019
I've never seen that crash so I don't know what could be causing it, as for the sound it should go away by simply placing in the map an ambient_generic with that sound (since at that point it should be precached).

If it's a custom sound, then remember that it has to be a 44100 Khz sample rate (whatever that means, here's a converter: https://online-audio-converter.com/)

Also, have you tried using other pop files? Just to know if it's a map problem or a pop file problem.

Evatron

Oct 23, 2021
Hi,

yeah it happens regardless of the pop file. if tf2 could produce a crash log or some way i can read the console after the crash that could answer some questions.

Box Of Paper

Jul 15, 2019
The closest thing to a crash log is the console contents.
There's a pair of launch options that log the console contents in a console.log file in your /tf directory:
-condebug -conclearlog
Put them in that box that appears when you "run map" in Hammer.

While in game also type in console >developer 4, this will write a lot of information in the console.

Anyway when your game crashes, go look in console.log
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf\console.log

Maybe you'll find a hint.

Evatron

Oct 23, 2021
thanks, i dont doubt you but i followed your instructions and no log has appeared in the tf folder. annoyingly i cant find a tutorial on this through google either?

Box Of Paper

Jul 15, 2019
Try the launch option -rpt instead (it's shorthand for -console -condebug -conclearlog), maybe this one works.
Maybe -hijack (in hammer) does something?, you should always have that anyway (along -novid).

These are the ones I use:
-hijack -novid -nojoy -nosteamcontroller -nohltv -particles 1 -precachefontchars -noquicktime -sw -noborder -w 1920-h 1200 -rpt

You could also try adding these launch options through steam (in the properties), but I'm pretty sure they aren't used when you open a map with hammer.
Still you could try and see if the file gets created when playing your map from TF2 opened through steam.

And just to make sure, this is the box I'm referring to:
rpt.png

NOT the "Expert..." one.

Also, here's the file:
loc.png

Anyway if you are wondering where I'm getting those: https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Command_Line_Options

Also: did placing the ambient generic fix the precaching problem?

Last edited:

worMatty

Repacking Evangelist
aa
Jul 22, 2014
You could try con_logfile <logname.log>
If adding it as a launch parameter you might have to prefix it with +

OP, are you using any custom sound replacements?
What's the sound file listed in the console error?

Evatron

Oct 23, 2021
OP, are you using any custom sound replacements?
What's the sound file listed in the console error?
hi, the sounds are inconsistent and i have never seen anything like it. here are 2 different instances before the crash as an example.
1.png

2.png

did placing the ambient generic fix the precaching problem?

as you can see above, it isnt really an option. there are way too many of them. and on top of all of that, i still cant get the log to show up. i feel like getting the crash log to show is top priority to solve this.

d76283079c0929f1e6a6f04397479976.png
this should suffice right?

i tried worMatty's approach of con_logfile followed by the directory to my tf folder but still no luck. :engienope: then i tried just typing con_logfile then tf, still nothing. what am i doing wrong? sorry gonna need some handholding.

Box Of Paper

Jul 15, 2019
The error appears on certain maps when there's a player/robot using a bumper car.

Turns out that ambient_generics don't precache the bumper car sounds, so even when using addcond 82 you get no sounds.
Seems like it's always been a problem too: https://tf2maps.net/threads/error-sv_startsound-sound-not-precached-0.23617/
Heck, even pl_rumble_event doesn't precache them (or at least it doesn't when you open the map through the console).
But if you addcond 82 in mvm_mannhattan or mvm_decoy, which came out before the bumper cars, then the sounds are there.
I even tried some community mvm maps like mvm_estate_rc1, and the sounds are there, but I could have sworn that I tested it before and they weren't.
And precaching the sounds with a map that works doesn't mean that the sounds will work in a map where they don't.
I have no clue, there's probably a hint somewhere.

Ranting aside...
I'm pretty sure that the sounds aren't the cause of the crash, so you could ignore them.

You did say that the crash happens when the robots start shooting, do the pop files you are playing with mess with weapon attributes?
As in giving a weapon a fire rate in the billions or similars?

Could you also take a screenshot of the console right before the game crashes, but with developer 4?
Use host_timescale 0.1 to slow down the game if you need it.

Last edited:

Evatron

Oct 23, 2021
say, can a map crash if theres too many inputs at once? i do have several automated things in the map that keep triggering inputs that show up in dev 4?

Box Of Paper

Jul 15, 2019
It happend to me a bunch of times, but when that happens the game freezes, not crash.

Would you be willing to pass me the .vmf?

worMatty

Repacking Evangelist
aa
Jul 22, 2014
i tried worMatty's approach of con_logfile followed by the directory to my tf folder but still no luck. :engienope: then i tried just typing con_logfile then tf, still nothing. what am i doing wrong? sorry gonna need some handholding.
You don't supply your tf directory as an argument. You supply a log file name. e.g. con_logfile mylog.log.
Some launch paremeters can be supplied on the command line prefixed with a - symbol but many console variables will need to be prefixed with a + symbol. However since you seem to be having issues I suggest you load the game first and set the convars in the console before running the map. You can then guarantee they work. mylog.log will live in your tf dir.

The error message you received is a bit generic and multiple things can cause it. One of the things is out of date sound cache.

When you load a sound file for the first time, the game stores 0.15 seconds of it in a file named sound.cache. If a sound file changes (e.g. to a different compression or frequency) but keeps the same filename, its sound cache will not be regenerated. In that case you typically either hear static noises or silence in place of the sound, but it seems you can also crash.​
sound.cache files are found in multiple places in the tf installation. If out of date cache is the cause of the problem, then deleting them all should fix it. You can do a search in Explorer within the tf dir to find and delete them all at once.​
If a mapper has made a map that uses custom sounds, and they have already distributed it to clients, then it's not fair to expect clients to have to delete their sound cache, so instead the mapper should change the filename/path name.​

Evatron

Oct 23, 2021
You don't supply your tf directory as an argument. You supply a log file name. e.g. con_logfile mylog.log.
ah i see! i didnt include the .log. thanks that did it. i combed the log but nothing crash worthy jumps out at me. i will attach it here if you would be interested in taking a look?

also i deleted all sound.cache files but still no effect on the sound preach error. this thing really hates bot footsteps.
Would you be willing to pass me the .vmf?
thanks but i dont think it'd be much use to you. the map is almost entirely unpacked custom textures and sounds (none new since the crash started occurring.)

Attachments

• 2.txt
    826.3 KB · Views: 31

worMatty

Repacking Evangelist
aa
Jul 22, 2014
Deleting sound.cache won't prevent the error messages about uncached sounds. Those will always occur when an action happens in-game which demands those sounds be played, but they have not been precached. As an example, the MvM game mode precaches a load of sound effects specific to that mode, but as they are not used outside of MvM, they are not precached if the map is not an MvM map. It should be possible to have them precached, but it's not important or relevant.

The object of deleting sound.cache files was to attempt to fix the crash error message.

Box Of Paper

Jul 15, 2019
This might be useless, but I just remembered that I used to get that error (thanks to the "Texture quality setting may be too high").
Back when creators.tf was alive they had a custom config pack or something like that, I used it for a while but I had to remove it because I kept getting that same error after a few minutes of gameplay.

So it could be a config related thing, but I'm pretty sure that the pack also updated some models so it could have been those.
Try a diffrent config?

Configs and sound caches are outside my "expertise", so I'm afraid I've run out of possible suggestions...

Last edited:

Evatron

Oct 23, 2021
ok so after some experimenting it turns out the crash doesn't occur upon shooting but rather about 10 seconds after the wave starts. so im looking into what happens upon the wave starting.

Code:
Redownloading all lightmaps
func_physbox (clubcard) at (-54.000 1782.000 -151.500) using obsolete or unknown material type.
Item Whitelist file 'item_whitelist.txt' could not be found. All items will be allowed.
NextBot tickrate changed from 0 (0.000ms) to 7 (0.105ms)
196.406475 BlockingGetDataPointer:  Async I/O Force faces_of_evil.wav (    3.75 msec /     3.75 msec total )
'soldier.cfg' not present; not executing.
196.572723 BlockingGetDataPointer:  Async I/O Force zero_whatfor.wav (    0.87 msec /     0.89 msec total )
Saving j:\steamlibrary\steamapps\common\team fortress 2\tf\sound\sound.cache
Creating fallback sound cache at: j:\steamlibrary\steamapps\common\team fortress 2\tf\sound_workshop
Voice_Init: Using Steam voice optimal sample rate 24000
218.082546 BlockingGetDataPointer:  Async I/O Force sf_letsparty.wav (    1.71 msec /     1.72 msec total )
WaveSpawnPopulator: Can't find target entity 'wave_start_relay' for StartWaveOutput
228.133743 BlockingGetDataPointer:  Async I/O Force fz_danger.wav (    1.39 msec /     1.40 msec total )
No such variable "$C0_X" for material "dev/halo_add_to_screen"
No such variable "$C0_X" for material "dev/halo_add_to_screen"
Out of memory or address space.  Texture quality setting may be too high.

is that "No such variable "$C0_X" for material "dev/halo_add_to_screen" anything?

Last edited:

worMatty

Repacking Evangelist
aa
Jul 22, 2014
> is that "No such variable "$C0_X" for material "dev/halo_add_to_screen" anything?

I don't believe this is a problem.

Are you running the map on a listen server (client) or a dedicated server? If you run it on a dedicated server, connect to it and your client crashes but the server continues to run, that could indicate a problem to do with rendering something.

Are you using any custom props?

Do you have GCFScape installed? If so, please open the map and tells us the sizes of lumps 8 and 53.

Evatron

Oct 23, 2021
no custom props but good idea with the server run. i will give that a go and see what happens.

Evatron

Oct 23, 2021
hey if its any relation, that manhattan grinder/cutter prop doesnt show up?