MVM custom wave and upgrade scripts

Lv11

L1: Registered
Aug 17, 2009
Not exactly sure if this is the right place to be posting this, but it seems appropriate enough.

By now I'm sure the lot of you know about the MVM example scripts mvm_example.pop and example.pop, but I have a few questions concerning them and mvm_upgrades.txt .

Firstly, in example.pop it states the following at the very beginning of the first wave's code:
Description "Lots of bad guys in this wave!" // the given description text will be displayed in the HUD when the prior Wave is counting down its 'WaitWhenDone' timer, and thereafter.
I can't get this to work for the life of me. It seems simple enough.
Does this simply not work or am I doing something wrong?

Also, the first two lines in mvm_upgrades.txt are
// Assign attribs to groups
// Assign items to groups
..yet it doesn't exactly state how to do this. I've tried scouring through items_game.txt for any evidence of tags or groups, but what I found led me nowhere. Changing values in there didn't quite work as well as I'd hoped either.
Furthermore, you can edit mvm_upgrades.txt and everything works out great.. until you try to add/change an attribute on one of the upgrades. Most of the time it simply disappears from the in-game shop.
My question is, how do I go about assigning attributes and items to groups?

Anyway, editing .pop files has been a ton of fun so far. I'm curious to see how creative people get with them.

Mar 23, 2010
N
My question is, how do I go about assigning attributes and items to groups?

It seems like these item-specific attributes are automatically assigned to their items i.e. hardcored into the attribute if items_game doesnt have anything like you said. someone could probably make a full list of the assignments each attribute has works, but it doesnt seem like there's much room for customization. i think on taunt: aoe heal works on every primary and melee weapon.

i guess valve either set it up badly for us to customize upgrades and such or they didnt want us to or it was really really buggy.