ARENA murderball_2011_rc2

vonDelson

L1: Registered
Sep 23, 2008
murderball_2011

"Murderball 2011" Release Candidate 2
by: Messiah/EvD

About:
This is a remake of the epic TFC map "Murderball" created by TheDreadedPyro/Chris Thorsten.

Objective:
Run to the center of the map and grab the ball. Try to keep it as long as you can! You can go into any of the bases with it, but everyone will know your location.

Your team will score 1 point for every 10 seconds you hold the ball.

The team that scores 100 points wins the game.

The ball will return to the center of the map when dropped.

Capture the green and yellow base to gain control of it and activate its health, ammo and elevator for you and your team.

...for the soccerball model: Octoplasm
...for the scoring system & scoreboards: Slutty_hoe and INsane Mr-Softy

8yrwqg.png

Last edited:

LeSwordfish

semi-trained quasi-professional
aa
Aug 8, 2010
So not unlike King Of The Flag? Seems cool, though I think the neat simplicity of the mode is undermined by the capturing the bases mechanic. I think you are using too strongly teamcoloured lights. Under that color, it'll be hard to tell what teams players are on.

The outside areas are very dark and large, too.

Aug 10, 2009
Some of your areas in the screenshots are really dark, and in another screenshot I noticed three medium health packs together (which is a bit unorthodox).

Also, some remakes have an issue where they're built for TFC, not TF2, so make sure this map is for the latter :p

T

The Asylum

Since there's no Green and Yellow teams in TF2, how do you address this?

vonDelson

L1: Registered
Sep 23, 2008
I think I've forgot to mention more clearly in this thread that Murderball 2011 is a remake and (important) my goal was to remain as close as possible to the original TFC version. Screenshots and an excellent playguide of the original can be found here: http://www.combatgold1.co.uk/misc/murderball-tfc/

So not unlike King Of The Flag? Seems cool, though I think the neat simplicity of the mode is undermined by the capturing the bases mechanic. I think you are using too strongly teamcoloured lights. Under that color, it'll be hard to tell what teams players are on.

The outside areas are very dark and large, too.

Capturing the green and yellow bases is completely optional. The main objective is to defend the ball and score 100 points. Even though the game lacks the presence of the green and yellow teams, I wanted the layout to be exactly like the original. So I had to do something with the bases. Capturing the bases provides excellent additional hideouts (building teleporter exits for example) for surpise attacks. I also played with the idea to enable the spawn room when you capture a base.

Concerning the coloured lights, I also noticed it's harder to see what team the player is on. I'll look into it.

About the darkness: read my reply below...

Some of your areas in the screenshots are really dark, and in another screenshot I noticed three medium health packs together (which is a bit unorthodox).
Also, some remakes have an issue where they're built for TFC, not TF2, so make sure this map is for the latter :p

I think you are referring to the screenshot of the uncaptured green base? Yes, it's dark by design. When you capture the green or yellow base the lights in it will turn on. The outside part where the trees are, is non-playable area.

The map is a night map so it should be a bit dark.

Concerning the health and ammo, it's also by design (like the original) since there are no resupply-lockers in the bases. It may sound like a dumb thing, but play testing showed it does work fine. Not having a unlimited supply of ammo and health in your base prevents excessive camping in the base and thus helping the game flow better.

LeSwordfish

semi-trained quasi-professional
aa
Aug 8, 2010
Hrmmm. Be VERY careful with this:

my goal was to remain as close as possible to the original TFC version

Tf2 and TFC are different games: Sooner or later you'll end up having to make decisions about wether you want to match the old game, or have more fun in the new one. I'm also made very wary by the warning in that document about how snipers are banned- if the map was too large for them in TFC, it will be even more worryingly overscaled in TF2, since TF2 is designed around close combat more.

Feel free to spam the outside with emps and mirvs. It's totally allowed, and one of the only ways to GET the ball.

Oh Lord. Spam being used is bad. Spam being useful is worse. Spam being almost necessary is horrible (look at the final stage of Dustbowl, another port).

Last edited: