Multiple Payloads?

Chazz

L1: Registered
Aug 28, 2008
This has probably been discussed or asked about before, but I couldn't find anything that fitted my idea, although I did find out that you could have multiple tracks for a payload, I don't know if that is what I'm looking for but here goes.

I'm wondering if there's a feasible way to have two payloads involved in the same map.

One example of a gametype involving the above would be like cp_steel, but with payloads instead. There's 1 main payload track, having the main payload on it, and then a parallel (or not) 2nd payload track with an optional payload. They would soon be separated from eachother by buildings, so it's not possible to easily guard both tracks by camping at one spot.

The optional payload could lock up new strategical routes for the attacking team or even new, faster routes for the payload, although that might get complicated fast in a programming sense.

If the optional payload destination is too heavily guarded, then the attacking team can just push the main payload, and vice versa, so it requires a new kind of teamwork on both teams. Also the map would have to be made with this in mind, so it doesn't become imbalanced.

I guess it's a mix of regular payload maps and control point maps like cp_steel.

Other examples might be that there are two main payload tracks, and that both need to be reached in order to win the match. The possibilities and variations are quite large.

Thoughts? Is it even possible to make something like this? If so, how?

Hawk

L7: Fancy Member
Dec 3, 2007
I don't have an answer for you, but that type of map DOES sound pretty dang cool. I hope it's possible.

Vicenti

L2: Junior Member
Jun 22, 2008
The HUD doesn't work, but the mechanics do. If you can make a 'substitute hud,' like a billboard showing the car locations, you could make it work.

Chazz

Aug 28, 2008
Hmm okay, well that's something at least!

Is there a way to include a custom HUD in the level pack, kind of like the Pakrat program?

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
I'm pretty sure that Pakrat can include your custom HUDs, yes. The map Snakemountain, for example, has a custom HUD, doesn't it? So it should work.

Feb 14, 2008
Custom HUD icons yes, but not programmed HUDs. (Unless you go the DOM route and do it with the game_text entity)

Chazz

Aug 28, 2008
Custom HUD icons yes, but not programmed HUDs. (Unless you go the DOM route and do it with the game_text entity)

I don't know what DOM is, but I guess I could check that out at the valve developer wiki.

It feels like this sort of thing might be over my head, I'm not experienced at all with anything other than level making really :(. Maybe if someone is interested in working something out with me this could really become a cool "new" gametype for mappers. Someone could post a guide later on if we get something done here, I think these sort of maps would be friggin awesome.

SuperNerd

May 13, 2009
I am currently creating a multiple payload map similar to cp_steel except with 5 payloads.

So far, everything works, except for when you push the cart.
The HUD tells you that there is someone on the cart, the dispense beam trickles and flows around me, but the payload does not move.
It's set on the tracks and everything seems right.
I'll have another look at it later on, but if anyone knows any problems with multiple payloads or any solutions.

I'm going to try to disable all except 1 payload to see if that will make it work.

bittman

Dec 7, 2008
I didn't actually think multiple payloads worked as all the tests I did either:
A) Crashed hammer
B) Didn't move the payload

I think the game has trouble understanding the concept of the possibility of moving forward more than one payload object, and thus doesn't know what to move. It's the same reason no-one has made a dual-payload, like the background of the Scout Update, yet despite quite a few people looking into it.

I assume when dual payload comes out, multiple payloads will be allowed, so my suggestion would be to wait until then rather than scrap your map.

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
The core of the payload system is entirely unrelated to anything in TF2. All it is is a train that travels down a track and the track triggers events. It's entirely possible to have more than one.

The problem arises when you put the train_watcher into the mix, it isn't coded to support more than one payload, so you would have to make the map without the watchers. (which means no payload hud and having to manually set up a timed auto-recede system)

wiseguy149

Emperor of Entities and Amateur of Aesthetics
May 12, 2009
You can do this, the hud is the only obstacle.

Though the map we got a sneak preview of in the scout update will probably be out within a week with the sniper update, so we can see how VALVe does it.

SuperNerd

May 13, 2009
I was stupid and forgot to check my logic_case outputs.

Now it all works and I think my HUD works sort of how I want it.

Soon I'll release a "preview" version once I've done some lighting.
Do I post my WiP maps in the Map forum of what?

Shaar

L3: Junior Member<BR>toboruin
Aug 7, 2008
I have a vmf somewhere, it does have 3 working carts in it, which I was intending for a gravelpit styled payload (E.g. cap two side carts first, then push the 3rd in for the boom.)

alas, this had one faulty capture point (Namely the final third one), and a randomly fluctuating HUD (The main problem was when two or more carts were moving. if the other two carts were stationary, the thing was fine)

I think, come the sniper update, there will be a fix for this, and multiple carts galore.

EDIT: Yes, if you wanna show your map, post it in the maps section, with WIP in the title.