Multiple flag problem?

DrHaphazard

L5: Dapper Member
Jan 6, 2008
Hey guys. As some of you know there is currently a problem with trying to introduce a gameplay style for TF2 that involves multiple flags for one team being available at the same time. Namely that there is nothing to stop a player from carrying more than one flag with him. This flaw, of course, makes that style of play almost impossible to implement.

I have been wondering about ways to get around this setback.

Essentially my plan revolves around the idea of a wall or some other obstacle being triggered to prevent a person with the flag from approaching another flags starting point.

Imagine if you will a CZ2 type scenario in which you have three flags on a wall, each in their little cubbyhole. Is it possible that you can set a trigger around each flag so that if a person carrying a flag approaches another cubbyhole a door would close shut, preventing that player from obtaining a second (or third) flag?

So essentially my question is...can any such trigger be created? Can triggers recognize a person carrying a flag? If not could a capzone be converted into a trigger so that instead of awarding point it triggers a door?

Unfortunately I can't think of a foolproof way to avoid griefing (someone intentionally picking up all the flags) or someone intentionally/accidentally picking up a fallen flag (one that is sitting there with a timer.) I realize this is really a stop-gap solution at best, and that valve fixing the playstyle would be ideal.

Hopefully someone smarter than myself can explain whether this is plausible or not.

Intraman

L4: Comfortable Member
Nov 4, 2007
I don't know the exact way you'd fix that, but the item_flag has an output called "Onpickup" that could be used to close a func_door that has one side textured as player clip, which would prevent anyone from entering on that one side. You'd then have to have to set an "OnCapture" to open the door once the flag is captured. Though that's not really much of a solution.

DrHaphazard

L5: Dapper Member
Jan 6, 2008
Well wouldnt that solution prevent everyone from picking up a second flag? I'd prefer a solution that keeps only the flag carrier out and not any non-flag carriers, otherwise theres little point to having the multiple flags.

Intraman

L4: Comfortable Member
Nov 4, 2007
Well if you only make one side then anyone already in the room could get out.. but yeah, not much of a solution I know. I would love to help out more, but alas the update broke my hammer.