Multiple brush for a single entity?

Washipato

L3: Member
Jun 22, 2009
In my map, I have many, many brushes that does exactly the same thing and have the same name. The compiler says that there are too much entitys in the map (%80) and I was wondering if it's "good" to turn all of those brush-entities into a single, big multi-brush entity.

Most of those brush entities doesn't even touch each other or they are in completly different visleafs.

Another question: if a trigger_multiple (with outputs) doesn't have a name, does it consume less memory?

Sep 12, 2008
Depends on what functions the entities have, but if they do completely the same, you can select them all and put them in one entity (ctrl+t).
About the trigger_multiple: I have no idea :p

Washipato

L3: Member
Jun 22, 2009
trigger_hurt. Loads of them. Also func_respawnroomvisualizer and func_brush. I'm afraid that linking them to a single entity will cause them to malfunction, but I need to reduce the memory used for entities.

Artesia

L6: Sharp Member
Nov 11, 2008
You can also select all the entities that are the same, and put them into a visgroup, then when you need to edit them, just click the visgroup, click the "mark" button which will select them, and change their values all at the same time.

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
The entity limit is, AFAIK, merely a guideline of Valve's and not a hard limit at all. There are Valve maps which also go around 80%, so I wouldn't be too concerned with that particular warning unless it has demonstrable performance effects. Apparently is literally possible to go over 100% of the limit and still run the map.

That said, I don't think there's a problem multi-brushing an entity across visleaves, especially if it is invisible like a trigger. So what if it shows up all the time? There's no render cost.

Open Blade

L420: High Member
Nov 30, 2007
trigger_hurt. Loads of them. Also func_respawnroomvisualizer and func_brush. I'm afraid that linking them to a single entity will cause them to malfunction, but I need to reduce the memory used for entities.

Yes on the trigger_hurt, as long as you are okay with the fact that they all would do the same amount of damage because essentially what you are doing is just creating one hurt brush setting for all of them. Even though there are still individual trigger areas, it's essentially acting like one brush, with only one set of values.

No on the func_respawnroomvisualizer. You want to keep those with different settings (teams, spawnrooms). If you click on all of them and make them one, you won't be able to assign different values for each of them.

Yes and No on the func_brush. I usually group some of them together as one func_brush if they are in the same area but if you have all of them as one, when you need to edit one of them perhaps in the future, it's easy to make a mistake. For example, you want to move a func_brush over a few units and you don't realize it's tied to another func_brush somewhere else, you could have some brush floating in mid air that you don't want. Hopefully I explained that well enough, lol.

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
For example, you want to move a func_brush over a few units and you don't realize it's tied to another func_brush somewhere else, you could have some brush floating in mid air that you don't want.

I find :ig: very useful for that case.