Multi-Level Strategics Map

zollen

L1: Registered
Aug 3, 2009
Imagine a super giant scale as following:

balance_scale.jpg

More team members on the pane the heavier on that side, and therefore the heavier pane move down but the pane at the other side move up. (Winning condition) The pane first touches the ground would cause the destruction of the other pane. The losing members would of course fall to their death!

A magic "switch" at a remote location. This switch (on/off) which have an opposite effect to the scale. Turning the "switch" on would have the following effect: The heavier pane would go up but the lighter pane would go down. Turning the "switch" off would makes the scale behaves normally.

Here are the strategic elements of this map
1. More members on a pane would make the pane heavier and therefore move down, but the pane of the other side move up.
2. A team would decide to split into two groups, the defending group and the attacking group. The defending group would sit on the pane and hope the other team has less members on their pane. The attacking team would go through several "short cuts" to areas where they can shoot at the enemies at their own pane. Killing enemies at their pane would make enemy's pane lighter.
3. Guarding the switch would also important for winning the match.
4. Players on each pane could shoot at enemies on the other pane when two panes are close to leveling position
5. When one side is heavier (more members) + off switch, the pane would always move down at a constant speed. Substantially more members would not move the pane any faster (always constant speed)

Last edited:

zollen

Aug 3, 2009
I found all of the existing TF2 map is way too simple and lacking of any in-depth tactical elements.

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
Step 1: Everybody go C&D spy.
Step 2: Rush to the other side of the map.
Step 3: PROFIT!!

Also, an AFK'er will screw you over...

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
I found all of the existing TF2 map is way too simple and lacking of any in-depth tactical elements.
This won't solve whatever it is you see in the other maps that you think is simple.

This can be broken down the same as a CTF map: half the team defending a static location (even more static than in CTF), and half the team attacking the other team's static location. The switch adds as much dynamic as any of the CTF maps that have a control point that gives one team an advantage of some sort.

When broken down, a standard CP map like badlands has more depth than your idea.

zollen

Aug 3, 2009
Step 1: Everybody go C&D spy.
Step 2: Rush to the other side of the map.
Step 3: PROFIT!!

Also, an AFK'er will screw you over...

I am glad you have already devised a strategy for this map. I can think of a couple of counter strategies too.

You are unable to see anything on the pane of the opposite side. (at least not at the first 3 mins of the game)

Just another point, the pane should be big enough for a sizeable team to move around.

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
If you want deep strategic elements, you might consider designing a map around Steel's concept, where different CPs have different effects on the map.

Like Boojum, I don't see how this is any more deep than CTF, or even PLR.

zollen

Aug 3, 2009
Just to refine my idea..

1. Both panes should be big enough for full team to maneuver (evading bullets, rockets, arrows)
2. Members can travel to the pane of the opposite side. This gives great advantages for pyros and spies. Of course member who travel to the pane of the other side would contribute +1 weight to the opposing pane.
3. Engineers can build sentry guns on their own pane only (cannot build sentry on the pane of the opposing team). A sentry gun would contribute +1 weight on their own pane (regardless of the level of the sentry).
4. Panes always move up/down at a constant speed (+x m/s or -x m/s). Just like other maps where more members pushing the kart would not make it go any faster (constant speed), same idea.

The biggest differences between my idea and other conventional maps:

1. A team can directly affect, and have an positive or opposite effect the advancement of the opposing team. Other maps would not let you undo opposing team captured points or pulling back/pushing the enemy karts directly.
2. With the introduction of the switch(on/off) and the dynamic nature of both panes, this let even a small group of skills players to out-play a large team of un-organized players.

Last edited:

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
3. Engineers can build sentry guns on their own pane only (cannot build sentry on the pane of the opposing team). A sentry gun would contribute +1 weight on their own pane (regardless of the level of the sentry
You can't team-restrict nobuilds, and buildables do not move if the object they were built on moves (it would float or be absorbed).

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
I think someone made a SourceMod plugin that would allow you to parent buildables to moving surfaces... [ame=http://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?p=602896]Here[/ame].