Moving Train Illusion

• If you're asking a question make sure to set the thread type to be a question!
Nov 2, 2010
Hi there, first time posting on this site. It's the first one I've found with a forum.

Anyway, I'm making a KotH map on a moving train. Actually, it's an illusion- the train is completely static, but the rest of the world moves around it. Can anyone help me create this effect? I've been experimenting with animated textures for the ground beneath the train, but it looks awful. There's also the matter of the sides of the map, which I'm planning to just cover up with a cliff face or something. I've already set up a killing trigger and an illusionary brush system so that when a player falls off the train, their body is dragged into the ground so you don't have a floating corpse magically pursuing a train.

Anyway, if anyone can help with this, please reply! :)

Broseidon

L1: Registered
Nov 1, 2010
This might be really stupid (I'm pretty new to this) but as players aren't supposed to leave the train, couldn't you create a 3D skybox that comes right up to the train? That would be easier to animate (I think) and could also allow for a nice panoramic view of the desert/plain/forest/suface of Mars/whatever ^^

Nov 2, 2010
That's a really good idea actually. I hadn't though of that. I'll give that a try. If anyone can help with the animated ground though, please reply!

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
This might be really stupid (I'm pretty new to this) but as players aren't supposed to leave the train, couldn't you create a 3D skybox that comes right up to the train? That would be easier to animate (I think) and could also allow for a nice panoramic view of the desert/plain/forest/suface of Mars/whatever ^^

Scrolling textures would probably be easier to implement and look better overall. It also means that you can use func_tracktrains to produce the effect of objects moving by.

Nov 2, 2010
I've found some good scrolling textures. I set the one on the ground to be illusionary with a trigger_hurt to kill players who fall off the train. I put another brush beneath that, so when a player falls, their corpse is no longer visible. The only thing left to do now is moving wheels on the trains.

Wander

L3: Member
Sep 16, 2010
You could also add a trigger_push that pushes players that fall off to the back first before killing them, making it look more like the thing is actually moving.

Penguin

Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome
aa
May 21, 2009
don't forget the occasional random env_shake.