Moving Props.

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Crash_Override, Dec 17, 2011.

1. Crash_Override

Crash_Override L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    On my map: http://forums.tf2maps.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=4963 I have a huge crane at a construction site.

I am trying to spice up the map and make the top of the crane move back and forth.

Can someone explain how to do this, I know it has something to so with func_rotate or something like that but I don't want it to fully rotate around just sweep back and forth in an arc.

Thanks for your help in advance!

2. Archmage MC

Archmage MC L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    You could just make a sequence of path_tracks and parent the entire prop to a nodraw tracktrain. You'd probably need to have more bones in it or something though.

3. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    If it's "back and forth" you could probably use a func_door_rotating. You're probably more experienced with one of those? It's certainly simpler to setup, since it'd only be "open" and "close" I/O's.

4. Crash

aa Crash func_nerd

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah, definitely go with the func_door_rotating. Set it to OnFullyOpen> Close and OnFullyClosed>Open and then tweak your speeds/ distance to your liking.

edit: This is assuming you know how to parent props to entities and all that?

5. Archmage MC

Archmage MC L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    I would've suggested the func_door_rotating, but TF2 doesn't like it when things are parented to that entity. Or did they fix that?

6. Crash

aa Crash func_nerd

Positive Ratings: