Moving Hammer files to new PC

n3dd

L1: Registered
Mar 10, 2018
(I apologise if this isn't the right place to be asking -

Hi there, I've been putting progress in two maps now, and just got myself a new laptop. Since I don't spend a lot of time on my PC (due to travel and study), and I've been putting less progress on my maps than before (due to decreased schedules, e.g want free time, don't want to spend day working on map and prefer playing games), it'll be useful if I got myself to transfer my hammer stuff to my laptop so I could continue working on my maps. However, I don't really know how to do much, since both computers have different storage, different locations, e.g.
I've googled this, and couldn't find anything useful really. Obviously, I'll download TF2 on the laptop, and once that's done, get the necessary addons (or whatever they're called) for it, and stuff. But for vmfs, textures, all that stuff, I'm unsure.
How and what can I manually move all the files to do with Hammer in my PC, to my new laptop?

Best wishes,
Ned

The Siphon

L6: Sharp Member
Mar 2, 2015
There are a couple of ways of doing it.

First one would be to just use a USB stick. Move all the mapping files from your PC to the USB stick and then move the mapping files from your USB stick to your laptop.

The second way is to upload your mapping files to a cloud service. For example Google drive, dropbox etc.
You simply just upload them there, log in to the site on your laptop and download the mapping files. Plus, they will be safely stored on your cloud as well, so if your PC breaks or something, they won't be lost forever.

n3dd

Mar 10, 2018
There are a couple of ways of doing it.

First one would be to just use a USB stick. Move all the mapping files from your PC to the USB stick and then move the mapping files from your USB stick to your laptop.

The second way is to upload your mapping files to a cloud service. For example Google drive, dropbox etc.
You simply just upload them there, log in to the site on your laptop and download the mapping files. Plus, they will be safely stored on your cloud as well, so if your PC breaks or something, they won't be lost forever.
Obviously, I know about those two and would use one of those options. I'm referring to how I move the files into the specific locations/dictionary (as in, what to set up, what to make, considering both PCs will be different), as well what files to move over, or what files to not copy and paste or move, as it could not work, break hammer, or cause glitches. If the question I asked doesn't point that out (rereading it I probably should have said this), then I apologise.

However, if it IS that simple and I can just go ahead and copy the mapping files I have to my other pc, then thank you.

DrSquishy

we've all had better times to die
aa
Feb 10, 2017
Obviously, I know about those two and would use one of those options. I'm referring to how I move the files into the specific locations/dictionary (as in, what to set up, what to make, considering both PCs will be different), as well what files to move over, or what files to not copy and paste or move, as it could not work, break hammer, or cause glitches. If the question I asked doesn't point that out (rereading it I probably should have said this), then I apologise.

However, if it IS that simple and I can just go ahead and copy the mapping files I have to my other pc, then thank you.
When I was transferring my files over, here's what I did:
I copied my entire documents folder (containing all my VMFs, they can go anywhere really and the only thing that might break are instances if you've not changed your instance path in gameinfo.txt)
I also copied over my whole tf/ materials, models, particles and custom folder (you might have others with custom content in so add those as well). You shouldn't get any bugs when just doing that

n3dd

Mar 10, 2018
When I was transferring my files over, here's what I did:
I copied my entire documents folder (containing all my VMFs, they can go anywhere really and the only thing that might break are instances if you've not changed your instance path in gameinfo.txt)
I also copied over my whole tf/ materials, models, particles and custom folder (you might have others with custom content in so add those as well). You shouldn't get any bugs when just doing that
Ah, that sounds great. Good to know it's not that complicated. Thank you both for the help!