Moving cloud texture?

Discussion in 'Request Area' started by skyride, Nov 13, 2012.

1. skyride

skyride L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Hey guys,

I know this isn't exactly maps related, but I thought this would probably be the best place to ask! I'm working on a few little filler videos for various competitions we're casting at VanillaTV, and I've got a small clip I'm doing in SFM.

I'm using pl_upward, and what I'd like to do is having some white clouds slowly floating by in the sky. It doesn't have to be a true sky texture that can fill the whole 2D skybox, just something I can put inside the 3D skybox and animate to move that'll look decent.

Is there any texture, custom or otherwise that would fill this role well?

Cheers, Adam

edit: I sincerely apologise and have just realised this is the wrong forum section, please move it to wherever is most relevant. Done! --yyler

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2012
  2. EArkham

aa EArkham Necromancer

Positive Ratings:
    What you're looking for is a model called props_skybox/skybox_dome03. There's a front, mid, and back variant; just pick whatever has the clouds on it you like.

3. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    2fort has moving clouds, it uses clouds with an alpha on the inside of a rotating cylinder. I suppose you could use a scrolling texture, but this way you can control the speed.

Func_rotating, IIRC, is broken still. So you'll have to use momentary_rot_button.

I have an example map here: http://forums.tf2maps.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=1728 but it looks like the vmf wasn't included, but nothing a vmex (Nem's tool) decompile wouldn't resolve if you want to look at the I/O's.