Move Those Votes Up!

tf2.com

L13: Stunning Member
Jun 16, 2010
Three weeks ago, we introduced an item import tool that lets item creators locally verify that their items meet a set of technical and performance standards. This helps item creators ensure that anything they create is more likely to be game-ready; and it also helps the community as a whole, by giving the TF2 team more time to devote to other aspects of the game.

Since we released the tool, this verification process (which grants items a “Gold Star”) has led to over 900 Gold Star Workshop submissions. We've been blown away by the speed and quality of the TF2 community's response.

Thanks to this verification system, we've been able to select a whopping 64 Gold Star items for this coming update. But how do we decide which to ship? Below, we've run this classy-looking Medic coat through a set of questions we ask when reviewing submissions. We hope this will give item creators and everyone voting in the Workshop a bit more insight into our decision-making process.

medic_coat.jpg

• Does the item's vote count show support from the TF2 Workshop Community? This is a big one: We're not going to ship an item that the community has no interest in shipping. (Remember: Even if you're not an item creator, you can help the item selection process by up-voting and down-voting.) Our sample Medic item, for instance, had sufficient support to examine further.
  • Does the item introduce something unique and different compared to items already in the game? The Medic does not yet have a coat cosmetic that makes him look ready to dance the night away as if it were 1776. Let’s check this box as a "Yes".
  • Does the item interfere with class identification? Even in this new coat, the Medic is still easily recognizable as the Medic. The author has taken care not to remove areas that display team colors and has made sure the geometry complements the base character model underneath.
  • How well does it complement other items already in the game? Because the geometry is contained within the Medic silhouette, it will avoid clipping with most other cosmetics, allowing users to customize their look further.
  • Does this item fit well within the TF universe? It might seem at first glance that the TF universe is pretty flexible—flexible enough, anyway, to accommodate a Victorian-era aristocrat costume for the Medic. However, there are limits. Photo-realistic items or overly cartoony items are just two examples of art styles that probably won't mesh with the TF2niverse.Lastly, Is your item Darth Vader's helmet? Because we don't own Star Wars. Here's a comprehensive list of other things we don't own: Everything that's not TF. Luckily, Darth Vader doesn't dress like a foppish 18th century rogue*, so this item's in the clear.
And remember: much like the game itself, the import tool is a work in progress. If you're a Workshop author and want to get advance notice of changes or to request support for new features, make sure to sign up for the brand-new TF Workshop/import tool mailing list.

*Note: We haven't seen Episode VII yet.

Source: TF2.com

Jan 20, 2010
I know this blog post every couple days thing is because of the update, but I'd REALLY like them to keep doing this. Every post has been pretty interesting for the most part.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
I hear that!

What's with the RSS bot consistently mashing the last two bullet points of a list together, by the way? Is there something wrong with the bot, or is the problem on their end?

Toomai

L3: Member
Apr 14, 2011
What's with the RSS bot consistently mashing the last two bullet points of a list together, by the way? Is there something wrong with the bot, or is the problem on their end?
The blog post source doesn't close its <li> tags, that probably has something to do with it. I'm sure it would be easy to change the bot to deal with that.

PoignardAzur

L2: Junior Member
Mar 21, 2013
I'm starting to wonder if the guys who take care of items and those who take care of maps (that is, if they exist) even know each other.

But how do we decide which to ship? Below, we've run this classy-looking Medic coat through a set of questions we ask when reviewing submissions. We hope this will give item creators and everyone voting in the Workshop a bit more insight into our decision-making process.
Come on, what about the maps ?

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008

PoignardAzur

Mar 21, 2013
Yeah but, compare :
- In this thread, we have 5 explicit, clear indications of what they want, what they accept, what are their critters for items. It fills half of the post.
- In the map thread, we have cryptic suggestions 'hidden' in the text (plus a "do as good as you can", yeah, very helpful) with different possible interpretations, and still no idea of what made Valve accept those new maps and not all the other cool ones they refused although they more or less all filled those critters.
(although I totally understand why they accepted standin : it's awesome !)

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Yeah but, compare :
- In this thread, we have 5 explicit, clear indications of what they want, what they accept, what are their critters for items. It fills half of the post.
- In the map thread, we have cryptic suggestions 'hidden' in the text (plus a "do as good as you can", yeah, very helpful) with different possible interpretations, and still no idea of what made Valve accept those new maps and not all the other cool ones they refused although they more or less all filled those critters.
(although I totally understand why they accepted standin : it's awesome !)

http://forums.tf2maps.net/showpost.php?p=288740&postcount=60

PoignardAzur

Mar 21, 2013
You're getting me wrong : what I'm complaining about (like lots of people here) is that, while they give a complete list of "what you have to do and not to do" to make an item that they'll accept, while still being general enough to let a lot of freedom to the modelers, they only give vague and discret indications of what could (possibly) be cool in a map, but they still let us in the dark about, you know, what they expect in a map ?

EDIT : I mean, for example, Scorpio said that they don't like having to test maps subject to potential changes because then they would have to test it again. Okay, that's pretty normal, but the why don't they say it there ?

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Okay, that's pretty normal, but the why don't they say it there ?

Because it's in no way as straightforward a process as making items.

Items have polycount budgets, need LoD's, need texture sheets within X by Y pixels, etc.

Maps... they have literally no constraints except running to a reasonable FPS and not being more than about 150mb (including custom content, since Manor was pretty large inc. all the new assets)

They also buy waaaayyy fewer maps than items, while it's cool that they buy them, they don't need to directly solicit the making of them. This may all change if/when a map workshop comes but I reeeaaaallly doubt we'll get anything like as much direction as the items got.