Modular Construction Kit: Barns

martijntje

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Aug 2, 2009
noooooo, this is exactly what I was working on myself (see attachement). But yours looks much better. The thing that would make this even more awesome: 45 degrees rotated blocks.

EDIT:
please move each peace to the center of the map, so that when you spawn then with the entity tool, they appear where you clicked, not in a place where you cant see them

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2008
lrn2aligntextures

Use alt+rightclick to make the wood grain in the same direction as the beam's rotation. God knows, how many times I've had to say that. Well except he couldn't, but that's another story.

FlavorRage

L4: Comfortable Member
Oct 12, 2008
lrn2aligntextures

Use alt+rightclick to make the wood grain in the same direction as the beam's rotation. God knows, how many times I've had to say that. Well except he couldn't, but that's another story.

They're all aligned on the Red Barn, but whenever I spawned a prefab the textures reset, so I figured, why bother? :/

martijntje, I've gotta say yours looks way better.
More versatile, too.

This is all a learning experience for me, so I'm figuring out most of it as I go along. Thanks for pointing out that I should save prefabs at the origin, I couldn't figure out why they spawned at weird places. Have a cookie! :gives cookie:

Last edited:

Fraz

Blu Hatte, Greyscale Backdrop.
aa
Dec 28, 2008
Damn you people, damn you all to hell. Right now, I could create a map using ABS' gametype library, and prop library. YM's displacement library, ravidge's lighting library and this. WHY MUST YOU MAKE STUFF SO EASY!?

RAFFEHWHFEWFWEFWEF

*waits for a dozen barn maps to be released*

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
They're all aligned on the Red Barn, but whenever I spawned a prefab the textures reset, so I figured, why bother? :/

martijntje, I've gotta say yours looks way better.
More versatile, too.

Texture lock man texture lock!!

Have it on when you place prefabs, always.
:texlock:

FlavorRage

Oct 12, 2008
Texture lock man texture lock!!

Have it on when you place prefabs, always.
:texlock:

Woah! I've never even heard of that! :blink:

And I continue to be astounded by the depth of knowledge held by senior mappers, not to mention their generosity in sharing it.

EDIT: Youme, you have NO IDEA how much easier you just made my life. Thank you SO MUCH. /eternal gratitude

Last edited:

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
-tl- was like the first thing i learned about texture manipulation. But then you kinda had to really because HL1 had sooooooooooooooo many prefabs it was unreal. You seriously cannot live without it.

But then we are talking about when brush geometry made up 99% of detail work, and models were usually limited to animated objects such as creatures (xen lights, xen grass, xen jump pads). Even the Xen manta rays were brush work.

This is also when there was no model preview function and models lacked collision meshes so you had to produce an invisible brush the right shape, with the right texture material to produce the correct bullet ricochet sprites, using func_brush.

Used to have these little textures that said "metal" and "wood" on them for it.

Ahhh.... good times.

Last edited:

EArkham

Necromancer
aa
Aug 14, 2009
One thing to be careful of with modular stuff: the number of brushes it takes to make the same building out of modular units can be far greater than the number it takes to build it normally.

I mention this because I made a bunch of modular scifi themed pieces for a ZPS map. Yeah, it made the layout incredibly fast and easy to do, but after getting only 35% of the map finished, I was hitting 80% of the brush limit. I had to go back and redo some of the brushwork (combining brushes mostly).

Might not be a big issue unless you have a ton of buildings, but it is something to keep in mind.

That said, I'd totally use this and any other modular theme. :)

Kep

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Brushes ^_^ just a func_door.

Depends which one you are thinking of, there were 2 designs. I could have sworn one of them was an "entity" that loaded a 'creature' model. I can't see how else they would get to animate a surface moving like that.

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
The magic was it was a cone shaped func_door with the same texture as the pit shaped brushes and it rose through them giving the illusion of animation. But I think we are straying from topic so I digress.

FlavorRage

Oct 12, 2008
The magic was it was a cone shaped func_door with the same texture as the pit shaped brushes and it rose through them giving the illusion of animation. But I think we are straying from topic so I digress.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOH. So THAT'S how they did it. :D