Modeling: For those who don't know

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by bazola, Feb 20, 2008.

1. bazola

bazola L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Found this out today and I'm not sure whether the community is aware. You can get a free version of XSI (a 3d modeling program) from here: http://www.softimage.com/products/modtool/

The only real restriction seems to be that it is for non-commercial use only, but for me that's not a problem. Considering that their software can cost 5,000 dollars... well this is a good way to go about getting it legally :)

There is a tutorial here: http://developer.valvesoftware.com/...your_map_into_a_prop_static_with_XSI_Mod_Tool
    That explains how to turn your brushes into models. From what I understand this is mostly important if you reach the brush limit in your map.

2. DJive

aa DJive Cake or Death?

Positive Ratings:
  3. spaceweasels

aa spaceweasels

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah, I've played around with the mod tool. It's a good tool to learn XSI, but I had buggy experiences with it. I've started using Blender (which the full program is free), and installed the Half Life 2 smd converter.

Here are a couple of TF2 props I'm building in Blender for an upcoming map of mine:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Hawk

Hawk L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    I've played with Mod Tool as well. Its bugs and glitches aggravate me, so I make and texture my models in another program and simply run them through Mod Tool to get them where I want them.

5. DrHaphazard

DrHaphazard L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    Wow nice bomb. I did not know blender is free, ill have to check into that.

6. Scotland Tom

Scotland Tom L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Blender is indeed free and also a very capable program. I'm learning it myself actually, though I'm not sure how much modeling I'll do for TF2.

7. Shmitz

aa Shmitz Old Hat

Positive Ratings:
    The only downside to blender is I have yet to find a way to make it give me a polycount. Other than that, two thumbs up. Love the interface.