Modeling and what program?

Discussion in 'Team Fortress 2 Talk' started by Malachite Man, May 6, 2016.

1. Malachite Man

Malachite Man L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    so am going to see into modeling and making textures but what program I can use that is not too expensive and is beginner frendly I would really like to know

2. Nicky

aa Nicky Rotten Tops

Positive Ratings:
    Blender is free, I've used it but I've never really tried to get into modeling. Gonna try someday, as it seems to be something good to learn.

3. Asd417

aa Asd417 L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    As Nick says blender is astonishing considering its free. (Still got more than you'll ever need for custom prop making) I think it is quite easy to use. Check this site out: https://cgcookie.com/learn-blender/ It teaches you from the beginning. Good luck!

4. The Siphon

The Siphon L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    I recommend blender, but when I tried it, it was really hard.

5. dryerlint

dryerlint L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    Do you guys know if SketchUp would work?

(Yes, I know SketchUp is Satan's own modeling program... but come on, it's really easy to use!)

6. Asd417

Positive Ratings:
    I have a personal nightmare with sketchup so I will not talk about it

7. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    For models:

How serious are you?

Serious -> 3DS Max / Maya
    Not serious -> Blender
    Literally The Joker -> Sketchup

What's your budget?
    Zero -> Blender / education versions of 3DS Max or Maya (free for students, unemployed and morally flexable people)
    Small -> see above
    Modest -> see above
    Huge -> 3DS Max or Maya

Do you want to sell or ever earn any kind of money from what you make?
    Yes -> Blender / 3DS Max / Maya
    No -> 3DS Max/ Maya education license (Important note: Blender does not fall into this category)

For textures:

How serious are you?
    Serious -> Photoshop
    Not serious -> GIMP / Paint.net

What's your budget?
    Zero -> GIMP / Paint.net
    Small -> see above
    Modest -> Older versions of Photoshop (good luck finding them)
    Huge -> Photoshop

Do you want to sell or ever earn any kind of money from what you make?
    Yes -> Photoshop / GIMP / Paint.net
    No -> GIMP / Paint.net / Student licenses of Photoshop

• Useful Useful x 5
  8. Hyperion

aa Hyperion L16: Grid Member

Positive Ratings:
    It probably feels hard because most of the commands are behind shortcut keys and it doesn't really tell you what is where

9. fubarFX

aa fubarFX The "raw" in "nodraw"

Positive Ratings:
    alternatives that come to mind would be lightwave and cinema4d. Having used both, they are good tools in their own right (definitely not as buggy as 3ds max) but you'll get very minimal source engine support, you'll be on your own on for many things. lightwave is 'reasonably' priced compared to others

I'd almost be interested in making an SMD plugin for either of those to force myself to learn models as data structures

Last edited: May 7, 2016
  10. Vel0city

aa Vel0city personal pick-pocketing parrot

Positive Ratings:
    Please yes.

11. LeSwordfish

aa LeSwordfish semi-trained quasi-professional

Positive Ratings:
    This is great, thank you! As a corrolary question to this, how similar are blender, Max, and Maya? If i'm not sure how serious I want to be and I start with blender, will I have to learn everything again if I upgrade to 3ds max?

12. Viperi

aa Viperi not actually a snek

Positive Ratings:
    I'll just stick to MS paint.
    ofc it's sarcasm

13. MaccyF

aa MaccyF Notoriously Unreliable

Positive Ratings:
    you can also download photoshop CS2 for free from Adobe's website, I'm not going to post a link because officially only people who owned CS2 are supposed to use it, but anyone can in practice.

14. Freyja

aa Freyja ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Positive Ratings:
    Photoshop is actually pretty cheap if you get the creative cloud "Photography" package, which includes photoshop and some other less useful programs. It's about $12 a month here for the NON education version, which is very affordable for me.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Malachite Man

Malachite Man L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    To answer ym's question my budget is $500 dollars how serious am I i mean business not to say some times I will make really stupid things do I want to earn money from modeling or texturing only if some one what's me to make some props or textures.

16. hutty

aa hutty

Positive Ratings:
    I object to that, Blender is very serious.

Also, Maya is moving to a subscription service model soon.

17. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    lol k

You keep telling yourself that if you want to.

Very few game studios use blender because historically blender has been a UI nightmare. Things may have changed but the games industry won't have changed from tools they know unless a new tool does something better, which blender doesn't.

I started with blender back in the day and swapped to max. I found max hard to learn after blender but once I got to grips with it I found it waaaaaaaaaaaaay better to actually use. Max and Maya are pretty dang different, I have opened maya a few times and holy moly I have no idea what to even begin to do. I'm sure Maya users feel similarly about Max.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. hutty

aa hutty

Positive Ratings:
    Never used max before, but I have used Maya2016 and OOOH BOY was that an adventure.

That thing crashed constantly, took time think about simple things like opening a dropdown menu, and had a workflow so inefficient it was a painful drag to use. It was also broken as hell, there was one case where a specific tool stopped working until I restarted the program.

How anyone would pay thousands of dollars for that is beyond me.

Blender isn't seeing much professional use yet mostly due to its unfamiliarity with experienced max and maya users and incompatibility with old 3rd party plugins (like the ones used for cinematic fluid physics)

That and blender's ui still needs work, even though its getting better.

19. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    The good thing about 3DS Max is that you can use Wall Worm with it, which is a very robust and easy to learn Source importer/exporter. Even before I had learned how to actually model in 3DS Max, I was able to use Wall Worm's VMF importer and SMD exporter as a makeshift replacement for Propper.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Asd417

Positive Ratings:
    As far as I know, blender can export Max file