Model Replacement for func_croc

Punished Lawbringer

L1: Registered
Jul 14, 2017
I know this is still kind of a relatively new function, but I'm still hoping people messed with it enough.

Currently, I'm making a Halloween map slated for next year's Halloween. However, the map itself is set in a more tropical and oceanic environment (a bit similar to Cursed Cove in terms of aesthetical value). It's very early in development, but it is supposed to incorporate func_croc for ledges into the water.

However, is it possible to replace the model of crocodiles:
  • Swimming in the water
  • Jumping toward the player
I'm just interested in it. Otherwise, I'd just use the normal kill method.

Da Spud Lord

Occasionally I make maps
aa
Mar 23, 2017
It should be easy to replace the model of the swimming crocs, those I believe are just animated prop_dynamics that can be swapped out for any model. Replacing the model that jumps up might be harder, as that's an entity (entity_croc) that's dynamically spawned by the game during runtime and probably has a predefined model. You might be able to replace it by identifying the model used by entity_croc, and then overriding the default model with a custom model with the same file path and name packed into your BSP, as assets packed into the BSP will override default assets.

Punished Lawbringer

L1: Registered
Jul 14, 2017
It should be easy to replace the model of the swimming crocs, those I believe are just animated prop_dynamics that can be swapped out for any model. Replacing the model that jumps up might be harder, as that's an entity (entity_croc) that's dynamically spawned by the game during runtime and probably has a predefined model. You might be able to replace it by identifying the model used by entity_croc, and then overriding the default model with a custom model with the same file path and name packed into your BSP, as assets packed into the BSP will override default assets.
Thank you for the reply. I took your advice and began messing with it in a freestyle map I use for reference. Turns out, replacing the swimming crocs with other props was extremely easy, and I could've figured that out by digging deeper. I can't seem to find the file path of the jumping crocs, however.

Might need to hold off on it until the beta portion is reached.

Billo

aa
Feb 8, 2016
punished lawbringer, did you manage to replace the crocodiles with another prop in the end?
cause I want to do the same thing with my map as well