Model asploding into cylindrical spiky blob

• If you're asking a question make sure to set the thread type to be a question!

Nineaxis

Quack Doctor
aa
May 19, 2008
So I have this nice model made up in XSI Mod Tool:
blueprintxsipreviewkd3.jpg

And I export it as blueprint_1.smd and blueprint_c.smd into a props_stovepipe folder in sourcesdk_content/tf/modelsrc

Here's my .qc
Code:
/*
----------------
blueprint QC
----------------
*/

$modelname blueprint.mdl
$origin 0 0 0 90
$scale 1.0
$body "Body" "blueprint_1.smd"
$staticprop
$surfaceprop "cardboard"
$upaxis Z
$cdmaterials "models/props_stovepipe/"

$sequence "idle" "blueprint_1.smd" fps 30

$collisionmodel "blueprint_c.smd"
{
     $mass 1.0   
}

When I compile it, it turns into this:
evilblueprintmodeljy9.jpg

I've tried following the XSI tutorials, the tutorial on this forum... still, "purple crown of death".

Help?

(Don't say USE AN OVERLAY, I'm trying to learn to make a model, and this was simple, and you can't put overlays on top of other props! I want help solving this issue only, please.)

Nineaxis

Quack Doctor
aa
May 19, 2008
I couldn't get that to install, it kept saying it was missing a link in a dynamic library something.dll. Tried in sourcesdk\bin and sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin with no luck.

Apom

L6: Sharp Member
Sep 14, 2008
Remove the upaxis line in your QC file, it's for Maya imports.

The purple color is because you don't have the proper textures, make sure the vmt/vtf have the same name as the .tga you used in XSI.

Make Cannonfodder's compiler work by putting it in "source sdk base\bin". Once it's done and properly configured, could you paste the compile log for your model?

Dox

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Oct 26, 2007
i heard somewhere that the order you put those in matter, so try swapping your $staticprop line with your $body line

also $modelname does not require the .mdl suffix... that might also mess it up.

EDIT: oh, yeah ,what apom said about upaxis is prolly your best bet.

ChronoTriggerFan

L420: High Member
Feb 3, 2008
The upaxis is not only for maya imports, but also 3dsmax and if I recall blender all use the z axis as up, while xsi goes solo and uses something else. Now for the texture, i know what your problem is. Valve decided to be really stupid with materials so you can only put them in one sub folder to work. When i had to get my bridge model to work, instead of putting it in my

sourcesdk_content/tf/materialsrc/ChronoTriggerFan/bridge1

The material only showed up when I put it in my

sourcesdk_content/tf/materialsrc/bridge1

See if that at least solves one of the problems.

Dox

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Oct 26, 2007
I always have my materials in my materials folder...

Altaco

L420: High Member
Jul 3, 2008
Looks like your scale is screwed up, try removing the scale line, if it's just 1 then you don't need it.

Spike

L10: Glamorous Member
Feb 13, 2008
You have to Freeze all Tranforms before exporting. Freeze history and model too. Then it would be ok