Mission set-up/release Q

Sgt Frag

L14: Epic Member
May 20, 2008
Well, I just uploaded my sniper map as a Beta. Still some stuff I want to do, haven't tested it on a server and I got to thinking:

Is there anything I need to do to get it to work?

First off it's sniper only. The sniper maps I have played I don't think had sniper locked as only choice, I think it's just a "if you are on server you play sniper" rule.

But I've noticed a few of them have a 'capture enemies intel' message at beginning of map even though they aren't CTF.

So if I didn't set up any CP or CTF entities will all the sniping work properly? My map hasn't made it to a server and I'm not sure if anyone has done more than run around it.

Basically all I did was rar the bsp with a txt file. I searched the valve wiki but really didn't find any complete article on releasing. Just one that had general guidelines of what things to check, you know like making sure you don't include screenshot folders...

Sgt Frag

L14: Epic Member
May 20, 2008
No, I didn't add ANY score/time based entities as I wasn't sure they were needed.

Unfortunately I was pushing end of weekend/wanting to release and couldn't find anything listed on forums or wikis.

Guess I'll have to add the timer/game end. Thanks.

I also saw a tut on this site for keeping track of scores. Haven't had a chance to look but I might try to implement round ends based on team score. (One sniper fiend stated he'd like to see bodyshots NOT count towards score).

But for now I do want the round to end eventually. 30 mins seems to be the standard on the server I've been playin on.

bob+M|M+

L6: Sharp Member
Mar 31, 2008
If you're just doing a body count, you could make the scoring system work. use a game_score entity with flag "Team Points" that triggers to add 1 to team score every time...

#1 team member walks through a beginning tele or a door with a trigger_push that disallows backtracking

#2 Give all the players a name, and trigger the add score everytime a player leaves the sniping area (dies, OnEndTouch)

Or possibly even
#3 Parent a unique sprite to the head of each player, and compare the distance between the ground and the sprite, so if the player dies and the sprite falls to the ground, you can trigger the add score. (not sure if the sprite falls to the ground with the body on death though)

for help on testing #2 and #3, check out Pseudo's posts in this thread: http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?t=2395&highlight=keys