missing detail props?

Afterglow375

L1: Registered
Oct 1, 2012
I'm not very experienced tbh, so this may be a noob question. My detail props on my displacements aren't getting compiled.

Code:
Material NATURE/BLENDGROUNDTOGRASS008 uses unknown detail object type tf_forest_grass!

What's the fix? I tried editing the vmt to change tf_forest_grass to some of the ones listed here:
https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Detail_props

but that didn't work either...

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
You need to go into the Map Properties panel and change the detail sprites to the one matching the VMT you're using. You can only have one detail sprite per map.

For forest grass, you want to use the trainyard sprites. I think the default is 2fort, or something like that? I don't want to open Hammer to confirm right now. You just need to change the two fields to both be trainyard instead of whatever they are.

ROFLsnakes

L2: Junior Member
Apr 24, 2012
yyler is correct 2fort is the default, and all you need to do is change the map name to one that has those sprites.I looked for you and you can do either sawmill or trainyard. You go under

Maps-->Map Properties-->Then Change "detail/detailsprites" to either "detail/detailsprites_trainyard" or "detail/detailsprites_sawmill"

I recommend getting the mapper's resource pack that's free for download,if you haven't already.The pack comes with a plug-in that tells you what each texture's sprites are with a color code so you can easily determine what you need to change your sprites too.

Afterglow375

Oct 1, 2012
okay i did this and it still doesnt work. The errors are gone from the compile log, but the detail props are not showing up, both in hammer's 3d view and in game. I tried it with both trainyard and sawmill.

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
Just making sure, did you place prop_details or are you painting alpha?

Afterglow375

Oct 1, 2012
actually i just realized i'm getting a new error telling me that I have too many detail props... I do indeed have a ton of displacements.

After finding this thread:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?p=31306789

I just want to edit the vsbp file to reduce the density of detail props, but I can't seem to find the file. I found it in the sourcefilmmaker directory but that obviously isn't it. It's supposed to be in the steamapps\\<steamname>\\team fortress 2\\tf directory right?

Last edited:

Wander

L3: Member
Sep 16, 2010
use the program GCFScape to open the TF2 .gcf files that are in \steamapps\

the steamapps\accountname\team fortress 2\tf directory is mainly for custom content, the .gcf files contain all the actual content

Afterglow375

Oct 1, 2012
hmm I tried it out...

http://i.imgur.com/dijLc.png?1

so I'm trying to change the density here, but it won't let me, which I understand is how it should work. How am i supposed to change this value? I'm totally not willing to get rid of my displacements, and I think my map would look substantially better with at least some detail props.

Last edited:

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
Make your own material that uses the same texture, but refers to a different detail prop group. Then make your own detail prop group definition file. Pack both.

Wander

L3: Member
Sep 16, 2010
If you want to change it, you have to extract it, move it into your team fortress 2/tf folder (preferably with a new name), then change it
Also enter it in hammer in your map properties, and then pack it using pakrat or packbsp on release

Keep in mind that as far as I know, custom detail sprites do not show up in hammer, only in-game

Something else I would suggest is having 3 versions of the same texture, one with a normal detail prop amount, one with low detail prop amount, and one without any detail props
Use the one with few detail sprites everywhere, the one with normal sprites in places where you think it'll look good, and the one with no detail sprites in the skybox and places where players won't look much anyway
That way the number of detail props will be a lot lower

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
There actually is another texture with the same grass but no detail props. It's used on Swiftwater, for example. Only caveat is that using it up against the other one isn't seamless. One is slightly but noticeably darker.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
Whatever detail prop you set in the VMT doesn't exist or isn't being called right or something. Double check all your spellings and paths and make sure the detail sprites actually exist as well.

Afterglow375

Oct 1, 2012
I'm not exactly sure what to do. The detail props show up if i use the normal trainyard vbsp. When i set my map to use the custom vbsp in the map properties, which i put in the team fortress 2\tf2\ directory, then they become pink/black. Do I need to extract something else? And where am I supposed to look for these sprites and what are they called? -.-

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
Your .vbsp file needs to be in the tf/ folder, but the VMT and VTF for the sprites themselves should be in tf/detail. It might be worth extracting the existing ones and seeing how they are laid out if you haven't already.

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
The screenshot is due to missing textures, not missing models. Of course, detail props may skip the model and just act as billboards.