Miss Pauling has 12-odd minutes worth of voice lines for the contracts.

Discussion in 'Team Fortress 2 Talk' started by Vel0city, Jul 3, 2015.

1. Vel0city

aa Vel0city personal pick-pocketing parrot

Positive Ratings:
  2. Prolyfic⁸

Prolyfic⁸ L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    It's for what ? The new Valve maps ? For those new weapons textures ?

3. Vel0city

aa Vel0city personal pick-pocketing parrot

Positive Ratings:
    Presumably for when someone gets a new contract, either for an all-class thing, or class specific contracts.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. tyler

aa tyler snail prince, master of a ruined tower

Positive Ratings:
  5. Lampenpam

aa Lampenpam

Positive Ratings:
    So many lines are basicly the same. I'd call that wasted space and effort

6. ExtraCheesyPie

ExtraCheesyPie L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    She talks so fast...

7. LadyRaee

LadyRaee CHEERFULLY SUICIDAL

Positive Ratings:
    Well, if Administrator threatened to kill you if you won't meet your daily quota, you'd be talking fast to make in time too.

8. tyler

Positive Ratings:
    Nah, it means you get some variety and don't hear the same clip over and over and over and over. Very little effort on the VA or Valve's part.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Muddy

Server Staff Muddy Muddy

Positive Ratings:
  10. Lampenpam

aa Lampenpam

Positive Ratings:
    Still some lines are saying the exact same thing. And why does it have so much varity if it's voiceline you hear every few weeks?
    Barely anybody who didn't watched the video will noticed that Pauling can greet you with different lines like:

"Scout, Pauling here"
    "Scout, Miss Pauling here"
    "Hey Scout, it's Pauling"
    "Hey Scout, it's Pauling. Got a contract for you"
    "Hey Scout. Pauling here. I need your help"
    "Hey Scout. Pauling here. Think you can handle this?"
    "Scout, Pauling here. I got work"
    and a few more... similar for every character

Notice how some lines have other lines basicly included in them. And you need to be really lucky to hear this lines.... every three days. Where you can barely remember what she said last time.

You see, it's funny how they care that TF2 is now less bloatware by removing the custom maps after the event, but simultanously they add tons of useless soundfiles they are probably not going to remove.
    Why do they even waste effort by trying to add varity to voicelines which you hear so increadibly unfrequent?

Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
  11. Zed

aa Zed Certified Most Crunk™

Positive Ratings:
    You really ought to stop typing when you're drunk, Lampen.

12. Lampenpam

aa Lampenpam

Positive Ratings:
    Can't you just agree with me? ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

13. Crash

aa Crash func_nerd

Positive Ratings:
    Even the amount that is currently in will get repetitive on a long enough time-frame.

I think it's silly to complain about extra content. I'm sure the SFM community appreciates every syllable of it.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. worMatty

aa worMatty Repacking Evangelist

Positive Ratings:
    The shorter lines are only around 30KB each.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. KubeKing

aa KubeKing Back home in Jupiter, things are getting harder

Positive Ratings:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Lampenpam

aa Lampenpam

Positive Ratings:
    >Something you hear once every few weeks will be repetetive for the player
    yeaaaahh.

And a couple of lines are so similar that it also wont benefit the SFM user. It dosn't matter if the files aren't that big, it's still wasted space and if will adds to TF2 bloadwearness. And it's not like the only time that I criticise this. The app-sapp has even more voicelines. So with different updates it adds up. And people call Tf2 already bloadware and stuffed full with useless data.

I know it isn't too much of a deal and that my explainations might be a bit too serious but you are asking for them

17. tyler

Positive Ratings:
    I'm not even sure what you're complaining about anymore? You might want to give it a rest.

18. Lampenpam

aa Lampenpam

Positive Ratings:
    Do I really need to explain it again? The amount of voicelines have no benefit and just waste space. That's it. That's all there is to it, but people seemed to wonder why I think so, so I explained my statements. And that just repeated itself by you asking what the problem was again ^^

(oh you might have missed that I edited my previous post)

19. tyler

Positive Ratings:
    You're complaining about kilobytes of space, man. The voice clips aren't the things bloating TF2's size on disk. Instead of taking in all the available data and creating an informed judgment, and comparing that to TF2 before the voice clips, you're lashing out. Lashing out over ~30KB voice clips! I don't understand why you're complaining, when they barely take up space, help keep the player experience fresh, and are a boon to community modders. We should be asking for more stuff like this, not whining about it.

20. tyler

Positive Ratings:
    Actually, not to be rude, but are you a non-native English speaker? I'm wondering if the nuance in cadence and pronunciation is escaping you because you possibly speak a tonal language as your first language or something? Like, Chinese people speak (most often) Cantonese or Mandarin, which don't really have emphasis on words, and instead use different tones on certain phonemes to convey different ideas.

These voice clips are great because of the differences in delivery, emphasis, cadence, volume, etc., that may not be immediately apparent as "different enough" to a non-native English speaker.

It's fine if these things aren't "useful" to you (whatever "useful" even means), but you don't really need to launch an attack on them.