***Mini Mapping Contest #6 - Spawnroom***

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Create a Spawnroom.
Since the payload contest is quite a biggie, we're going to run a Spawnroom one at the same time, this should be enterable by anyone working on a map, for the payload contest or not.

Rules:
  • Must contain:
    1. 16 info_player_teamspawn entities
    2. One or more functional garage doors
    3. One or more Functional resupply locker
    4. A func_respawnroom brush over the entire area of the spawnroom
  • Interior only (windows to external vistas are allowed)
  • Must submit a minimum of one screenshot, a .vmf and a .bsp
  • Must fit either standard Red or Blu theme.
  • Maximum of two entries (One Red, one Blu themed)
  • Everything must be finished and submitted in the upload thread by the end of October. (That is Noveber 1st, 0:00 AM GMT)

Voting will be a standard public vote thread, per entry rather than per person. This one is a 'Lets see what you can do' we're going to be voting on how good they look and feel. Screenshots, .vmf and .bsp files will be available, please make your vote based on the .bsp and the screenshot quality rather than the .vmf quality. The .vmf however will be available for you to use as a prefab if you wish (but the use as a prefab is not the aim of the contest).

ctf2fort0044vv8.jpg

Good luck and have fun! :thumbup1:

Last edited:

Nineaxis

Quack Doctor
aa
May 19, 2008
Same here. A nice simple contest to encourage some creativity in a place usually overlooked.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Hm, can this include the spawn rooms we have in our payload map? That would be pretty handy for those short on time wanting to participate in both. (Though i will want to make my own stand alone spawn anyway).

A/D maps generally have different spawn styles, especially the Blu's first spawn. I'm guessing since it is a spawn room that a spawn room like the first Blu spawn on Dustbowl (a mining shaft) is acceptable. It doesn't have to be a white room like 2fort (though that would be the general and appropriate idea/concept for most other maps).

Just to clear that up?

Nineaxis

Quack Doctor
aa
May 19, 2008
I guess if you can get a garage door to work in a mine shaft, the rules don't have anything against it... but the intention was more of a standard spawn room than one specially fitted to a certain map/environment.

MrAlBobo

L13: Stunning Member
Feb 20, 2008
few questions...
1st are more unusual spawn rooms allowed, like the dustbowl one grazr mentioned and some relatively other odd things as well?

2nd, more clarification on this
Interior only (windows to external vistas are allowed)

Nineaxis

Quack Doctor
aa
May 19, 2008
more clarification on this (interior only)

Spawns will be judged based on the interior- so you can have windows looking out, but making your spawn into a building won't make you an overachiever, it'll just bloat your filesize.

MrAlBobo

Feb 20, 2008
yawn...fine then, ill expand it into a few more questions...
should the doors be functional, if the doors are functional should there be anything outside of them, is it possible to place a gate over an opening as a real spawn might have and give the illusion that it leads somewhere. Is there any point to doing anything like this?
Will it just be limited to spawnrooms, or can it expand to spawn areas like the fenced off areas in dustbowl. phew...just trying to find the limitations...

oh and bearing in mind that its just a spawn room I can't see bloating the file size being an issue <_<

ChronoTriggerFan

L420: High Member
Feb 3, 2008
Remember people, a empty box with a couple props and posters slapped on is not what we are looking for. These pictures, from mrtwovideocards, would be a killer entry:
800px-SpawnRoom_001a.JPG

800px-SpawnRoom_001b.JPG

800px-SpawnRoom_001c.JPG

800px-SpawnRoom_001d.JPG

800px-SpawnRoom_001e.JPG

800px-SpawnRoom_001f.JPG

Looking forward to how this one turns out, will defiantly be entering this time, magically creating time for me to complete an entry.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
yawn...fine then, ill expand it into a few more questions...
should the doors be functional, if the doors are functional should there be anything outside of them, is it possible to place a gate over an opening as a real spawn might have and give the illusion that it leads somewhere. Is there any point to doing anything like this?
Will it just be limited to spawnrooms, or can it expand to spawn areas like the fenced off areas in dustbowl. phew...just trying to find the limitations...
Imagine goldrush stage 1 for blu, anything inside the very first room is acceptable, the corridors leading to the start up gates isn't and wont be counted, the window to the right with the bomb carts in is awesome and will be counted.
For dustbowl's everything up to the setup gates is ok since its still roughly the same chamber, however as nine says we're going for a more conventional spawn room since dustbowl stage 1 is pretty much an exception

oh and bearing in mind that its just a spawn room I can't see bloating the file size being an issue <_<
Other than if you wan't to put it in your own map or someone else wants to use it in theirs, but since this isn't, repeat isn't, a prefab contest don't worry about filesize, what you nodraw or playerclip.

Snipergen

Nov 16, 2007
Chrono, it would look nice, but that's not the function of a spawnroom. There can be some details in it but this guy has so much that you would run around in your spanwroom trying every door before you actually find the exit. Look at the valve spawnrooms, how simple are they? It has a function you know :)

I'm starting hammer, I'm gonna do me some mapping on this :D

Snipergen

Nov 16, 2007
Make sure to rotate your textures so they follow the direction of your brush.

Snipergen

Nov 16, 2007
Also mini mini mini wip, im gonna keep blu spawn simple, just gonna smack in a door, reflective floor, lamp models and make it all brighter, im gonna make a red one too that will be like the dustbowl spawn.

ChronoTriggerFan

L420: High Member
Feb 3, 2008
Chrono, it would look nice, but that's not the function of a spawnroom. There can be some details in it but this guy has so much that you would run around in your spanwroom trying every door before you actually find the exit. Look at the valve spawnrooms, how simple are they? It has a function you know :)

I'm starting hammer, I'm gonna do me some mapping on this :D

As far as i can see, there is a door right in front of the spawn points. The rest is pretty much all detail area. What i was hoping to encourage from those pictures was to get people out of the mindset of a square room, so we can get some more creativity, like granary's spawn room has.

Forthex

L2: Junior Member
Aug 2, 2008
I'm making a RED-themed mechanic's garage for my map, and I might enter in this contest...

The ones already posted look nice...

EDIT:

Oh, also, If we submit an entry, can that entry be modified and presented before the due date?

Inqwel

L6: Sharp Member
Jun 2, 2008
Since we are posting WIP, here's a screenshot of my submission. Its only of the second floor, needs more detailing for the empty walls, lighting correction, and fixed cubemaps.

It is a train station.

mort-contestwip1.jpg

Nineaxis

Quack Doctor
aa
May 19, 2008
To inspire creativity in an area most mappers leave as a poor detailed box to contain spawnpoints.