• Center Save Changes Reset

CP mineshaft a4

a/d 3cp indoors mineshafted themed

1. nesman

aa nesman oh god how did this get here

Positive Ratings:
    mineshaft - a/d 3cp indoors mineshafted themed

This is a indoor attack/defend 3CP map with a mineshaft theme. It is my second cp map with lots of improvements compared to my first cp map.

2. nesman

Positive Ratings:
    Made Blu spawn buffer bigger
    Added other pathways to get to C point
    Added props on C point to add hidey spots for spies
    Added clippings so players cannot get stuck
    Updated dev textures to brighter because why not
    Updated other textures in spawns
    Did other things

Read the rest of this update entry...

3. turtleboy666

aa turtleboy666

Positive Ratings:
    Just a little feedback:

This geometry by blu spawn is invisible for me
    20161228095502_1.jpg

The same invisible brushes make the map open to the void
    20161228095041_1.jpg

The spawnroom by B is just left open which means red team can use the resupply cabinet while defending
    20161228100000_1.jpg

z fighting
    20161228100008_1.jpg

The noentry texture isn't scaled properly for red's last spawn
    20161228100214_1.jpg

For a gorge-style last it seems a bit too large
    20161228100248_1.jpg

Every now and then when I exit this door, it makes me jump really high
    20161228101538_1.jpg

If you intend for people to be able to walk on the edge, you should make the clip brush match the prop a little more
    20161228101502_1.jpg

You might want to add another exit to this forward spawn
    20161228102008_1.jpg

That's about it. The fluorescent lights are a little bright and the health and ammo pickups are weirdly spaced but other than that I don't have much else. It seems like a pretty good map so I'm excited to play it in the next imp!

4. nesman

Positive Ratings:
  5. nesman

Positive Ratings:
    Fixed broken wall that didnt render
    added hallway that opens up for another flanking route to B
    Changed some of the fences to walls
    Edited some clippings
    Extended tunnel to C on left side
    Other things

6. nesman

Positive Ratings:
    Added nice side to C
    added some signs to help with directions around map
    took away one-way door below C
    Did some minor detailing in blue spawn

7. Urban

aa Urban

Positive Ratings:
    Hiya, just thought I'd leave some feedback after last night's imp. I'm pretty sure you were there so you are most likely aware of most of these issues, but I thought laying out my thoughts might help a little.

I'll preface this a little by saying I didn't enjoy the map much to be honest. As an attacker it often felt like an agonising slog and as a defender it was just a matter of how much spam you could put out to run the clock down. Most of this came down to how cramped the map felt and how few routes were available to both sides. More of that in detail below.

First off I'll talk about A and the preceding area next to BLU spawn. This, to me anyway, felt like the weakest area of map, mostly because it was the first area of the map I was exposed to though. As can be seen below, BLU only have 2 routes to choose from to assault the point - both routes come in at the same height level and both can be covered by defenders sat on the ledge above the point and sat down on A itself. It is incredibly easy to spam rockets and stickies into both of these major chokepoints and push back any attackers.
    20170102130038_1.jpg

I'm generally not a fan of one way doors, but this one makes very little sense in its current position. If attackers enter through it and take the left tunnel get pushed back by defenders, to retreat they have to run past the door (unless a friend keeps it open for them), past the major choke in the foreground and then all the way back to spawn. Essentially this makes the issue with there only being 2 routes to attack the point even worse as retreating attackers have to run past yet another spammy choke to get health/ammo.
    20170102130049_1.jpg

Even the spawns seem to be laid out to inflict maximum pain of BLU. All attackers exiting spawn arrive in the same small space and are easy prey for stickies and the like. Overall this initial area is poorly thought out and far too small and chokey to be fun to attack through.
    20170102130817_1.jpg

If the attackers manage to take A (which happened once without intervention last night I believe?) they then have to advance through another series of tunnels to their next objective. BLU has slightly more options for attacking B, however that only lasts until they get to the B area itself. At that point they can either choose the more exposed route, or a very tight corridor.
    20170102131443_1.jpg

The very tight corridor offers a route onto the high ground where the point is located, however it is incredibly easy to defend this area. RED holds all of the height, and the enclosed area shown below is easy for classes like the demoman which can spam pipes or stickies down it and wipe out any BLU players, unless they have an uber. I saw several ubers trying to attack B, however they were pretty easily shut down before they did much damage as the limited routes BLU get make it easy to see them coming and get pyros in their way.
    20170102131448_1.jpg
    The general theme of the map so far is tight and enclosed spaces, which is fitting for the mineshaft theme, however I think most people will agree that long and mostly flat corridors are not particularly interesting environments to fight in. There are too few flanks for either side to take advantage of and it pretty much came to a battle of attrition in the same choke points. Another casualty of the tight spaces is the spy - it can be rather hard to get through the enemy lines when the spam is so prevlent, granted I am an awful spy however there were very few times when I managed to get far without running into an enemy and being discovered. The tight spaces again give very little opportunity to manoeuvre out of their way.

So far RED has held the height advantage pretty much throughout and BLU always seem to come in at a lower level - I think you should think about adding some more varied routes for people to take, I don't like fighting the same battle over and over again until the attacker finally push through or the clock runs out very much.

I don't have much to say about C - on both attack and defence I saw very little of it. The main issue with the final point however, is about the connectors between B & C. All the issues come down to this space here. BLU comes from the left corridor and behind the camera - the space in the foreground is a crossroads all routes to C converge on. Essentially if RED can manage to hold this area they can stop BLU from even seeing the point! Compounding on that is the sightline from the B area behind the camera all the way down to the end. The area behind the camera is a shortcut from BLU spawn to C, however the sightline is drastically in RED's favour. A single sniper can sit down in that ravine and make life hell for the attackers - the only real counter was a BLU counter-snipe as pushing down into that area with other classes was a massive pain.
    20170102132841_1.jpg

Below is a view from the defender's high ground position. From here a defender can see both the aforementioned crossroads, as well as the one-way door designed to give BLU a vantage point over C. Not only do RED have a very good position here, they have 2 medium health & ammo packs to sustain them in very close proximity! This was a very hard position to push past as an attacker if there was a concerted defence up there. Even if BLU managed to take the position, if they decided to push onto the point they lose their height advantage and the position could be reclaimed by RED.
    20170102133317_1.jpg

Hopefully the above will be of some use to you for future updates - most of the point areas are OK, the main issue is what connects them together! You shouldn't overdo the amount of routes players have from one point to another but at the same time limiting them to very few cramped routes is making the map frustrating to play on. If you have anything you want me to elaborate on, please let me know. I'll do my best to explain my thoughts further!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. nesman

Positive Ratings:
    Added 2 flank routes to A
    Removed one-way Door leading to A
    Removed buffer area outside of blu first spawn
    Added some cover near blu first spawn
    Lower B
    Raised up flank and make one-way doors for blu at B
    Fixed some sightlines