Oct 6, 2008
Blue is pushing a cart through Red's secret underground cave :thumbup1:

Based on a badwater theme.

Enjoy! :thumbup:

Last edited:

Woozlez

L3: Member
Jul 28, 2010
No, it's a map set in an abandoned underground mining facility, similar to the idea Kill The Bug has in setting it in "a mine." I posted it so he would have see how i have accomplished the idea, and show him one of the potential directions he could take his map visually.

Oct 6, 2008
Actually - thanks for the map post - it's kind of what I am looking for -

What texture and light levels did you use?

Woozlez

Jul 28, 2010
I used Bigrock for reference in terms of lights and textures. I used the artificial light and spotlight levels from the mine area almost identically for my map. Although, I did utilize a bluer fog, and maybe intensified artificial lights to really get that deep blue feel.

Feel free to utilize the decompiled Bigrock map to help you on that.

It may be better to not have such a large area as I do on my mvm map. Feel free to utilize a beginning 1/4 of the map to emphasize the entering of the mine with the Payload cart, from an adjacent facility. Then you can keep the gameplay going through underground yards, that become progressively more constructed until you come to the underground mining facility (Utilizing the drill from cp_antiquity hanging above).

If you'd like a better reference of where you might want to take your map, here is an area I utilized to test my underground theme (Even before MVM and Bigrock existed, working more off of Portal 2 for lighting hints). Please don't use as much deathpit as I show here though, as that was before I considered how OP that made Pyro/FAN scout.

Pj2Wd.jpg

H3P7j.jpg

Also, if you'd like to see how profound an effect lighting can have underground, and that you have to be careful in not lighting the ceiling, here are some very contrasting pictures from the production of mvm_underground.

l4pf1MI.jpg

prrn4YY.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2008
thanks!

Oct 6, 2008
Ok - Here we go! Beta 1 is now released!

It's a different spin on badwater - but it was a request map and so I made it for them.

Other than that, please let me know what you think - the modifications in testing seem to be working out really well in bot testing :)

EDIT just found a broken areap portal - re-compiled - portal fixed you can download it now

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2008
updated to version b2

Oct 6, 2008
Ok,

Beta 3 is now out - don't know what more I can do with it - if you can see some ways to make it better please let me know.

(I also added in 2 birds! LOL)

Oct 6, 2008
Beta 6 is now out - thanks for your feed back - map is functioning much better and becoming more fun.

If anyone has improvements - please let me know :)

Oct 6, 2008
Release Candidate 1 - is now out feel free to check it out and give me your feed back :)

Thanks!

Oct 6, 2008
Updated the map to rc1a - the auto trigger to control the elevator was buggy in multiplayer mode so I switched it over to a shootable button.

Also fixed a bug in the spawns that occured due to the new starting sequence for the blue team.

Please fel free to comment.

Oct 6, 2008
rc1d - now out - let me know what you think I added in 2 new routes for blue

BigBros

Aug 20, 2014
The track platform in picture 2 looks really thin, and looks like it needs more area for players to stand nearby and push it.

Zed

Certified Most Crunk™
aa
Aug 7, 2014
The lighting and texturing in this map is pretty gross.