MIME types for source file formats

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
I have decided to register mime types for the Source file formats. Why? Because application/octet-stream is boring.

Anyway, I am looking for some proofreading help on the registration text to catch lame typos, grammatical atrocities and factual errors.

Find the text over here.

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
New revision up, more formats, some slight fixes all over the place and I added a TOC.

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
Uhm, did anyone even read the text?

Wander

L3: Member
Sep 16, 2010
I think it's a good idea, although I was under the impression that only the owner of a format, valve in this case, would be allowed to register a mime type for it

I've read it and haven't really found anything incorrect, though perhaps you should mention the general key-value format that is used in vmf, vmt, and so on

Also for the vmf part, you say that only hammer and the bsp compiler use it, but what about the portal 2 in-game map making tool?

I also have the feeling something regarding source film maker should be mentioned, but I haven't used it so I've no clue what

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
I had the same impression, but there is a clause that explicitly grants anyone rights to register a mime type for any vendor

I plan on writing a short summary about the key-valye format.

A big issue I have is the character encoding. MIME makes a difference between 7bit and 8bit text.

As for the portal 2 in game editor, you have a point. A simple wording change will allow that without bothering mentioning by name.

And yes, I do think that SFM needs a mention, but I lack the knowledge about that.

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
Where did I claim that again? Also, bzip2 is a data encoding that aims to reduce the size of the content. Not an archive. TAR would be an example of an archive format.

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
Ah, I see what you mean. I will clarify that part.

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
For those wondering, I did eventually end up registering a couple file formats. Just grep for valve in the master list.