Messed up props/lighting

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Timba LFT, Nov 21, 2015.

1. Timba LFT

Timba LFT L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    before I start, just know that im pretty new to mapping.

anyway, I've been making this small map out of really basic brushes -- no problem. I go to incorporate some rock props into the sides of walls and certain ones start looking off-color ingame.

[​IMG]

but then these other ones in similar situations dont mess up

[​IMG]

and one other thing, this line shows up between my brushes... does grouping them fix it?

[​IMG]

thanks in advance

2. MoonFox

MoonFox L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    Uh, your pictures aren't loading, but by the description the problem seems likely akin to improper lighting and positioning. try moving the props that are doing this around for a couple of tests and see where you light is going, also would help if you could link the pictures.

3. Muddy

Server Staff Muddy Muddy

Positive Ratings:
    First of all, make sure you put the direct image link in the img tags (not the imgur link), like so:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Props being unusually dark is often because the origin is inside world geometry, where it's pretty damn dark. You can link the prop to an info_lighting entity placed in the open air, so the prop's lighting origin is exposed to light.

As for the shadows, your map does seem to have somewhat dodgy lighting overall (such as the underside of that archway being pitch black) which is a sign that your map may have a leak. Check the compile log for "*** LEAKED ***" errors.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2015
  4. Fr0Z3nR

aa Fr0Z3nR Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums

Positive Ratings:
    Shadows imply a leak. In that last image specifically, it looks like a the line along the side of the wall is a lightmap issue.

Check your map for leaks or invalid geometry. Fix them if they are there and your dark shadows should go away.

To get rid of the prop shadows, you shoudl really only need to compile VRAD with -staticproppolys and -staticproplighting ... you should only ever need to use info_lighting ents in like, really weird, rare cases.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. LeSwordfish

aa LeSwordfish semi-trained quasi-professional

Positive Ratings:
    Compiling with those settings is a little bit complicated though, and can take a lot longer. For now, fix the leak but you can ignore the rest if you want.

6. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
  7. Tumbolisu

aa Tumbolisu  I ⌄ I 

Positive Ratings:
    That strange line through the archway may be caused by weird func_detailing, or no func_detailing at all. I think it's just a visleaf splitting the face right there, which can cause the lightmaps to not blend together anymore.

8. Timba LFT

Timba LFT L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    thanks alot for the fast replies everyone

alright, so the cause for the bad lighting was a few walls/floors accidentally being displacements. oopsie

anyway, I sealed everything up, and these rocks are still doing this
    do I need to func_detail them or something?

[​IMG]

everything else is working now tho

[​IMG]

9. Zed

aa Zed Certified Most Crunk™

Positive Ratings:
    That's happening because the origins of the props are inside of your world geometry.

10. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    Three of the posts in this thread describe how to fix this issue and a further post is discussion about the fix. Go back and reread the information people have given you

• Thanks Thanks x 3
    • Like Like x 1