Meridian

TC Meridian rc3

• This map is featured! Our best maps, all together in one place for your viewing pleasure.

Shmitz

Old Hat
aa
Nov 12, 2007
tc_meridian takes place on a tropical island somewhere in the Pacific. Red team is hatching some maniacal scheme, and Blue has gotten wind of it and is attempting to stop them. Will Blue foil their plan? Will Red triumph and drive Blue off their island?

The gameplay is Territory Control, like tc_hydro, but it uses Capture the Flag instead of Control Points to win each round. We're hoping that the infiltration gameplay will result in fewer round stalemates than the domination gameplay of tc_hydro. At the same time since it only takes one cap to win a round and it changes location each round, we're hoping that this variety of CTF will be more appealing to people who don't like how much of a static turtle some CTF maps can become

Screenshots:

Last edited by a moderator:

Shmitz

Old Hat
aa
Nov 12, 2007
Changes in Beta 5:

• Reworked interior of the boat (BLU final defense round). Main blue spawn is now at the top level, with the intel being in the hold of the ship.
  • Improved temple textures.
  • Intel return timer increased from 30 seconds to 40.
  • Spawn times start slightly lower, but their reduction over the course of a round is much less. Spawn times are no longer instant at the end of a round.

Spike

L10: Glamorous Member
Feb 13, 2008
Downloading

PMAvers

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 29, 2008
Nice. Was wondering when it was coming...

I forget if it was there in the previous version, but when you load it up the console gets spammed a ton with a error about some particle "torch_flame" thing. Let me go back in and see what the error was exactly...

EDIT: "Attempting to create unknown particle system 'torch_flame1' "

Last edited:

Spike

Feb 13, 2008
yeah I was about to say it. I played it alone yesterday I noticed particle effects not working. Happens to me too.

I haven't played it on a server yet.

Spike

Feb 13, 2008
Maybe you could try putting the particle manifest outside the bps, just make the folder with the .txt.

Oh yeah. I were trying to find the submarine but I haven't found it yet! Where is it?

Last edited:

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Maybe you could try putting the particle manifest outside the bps, just make the folder with the .txt.

we've already gone through aaaall the posibilities. The only two are:-
  1. Valve get of their arses and finish the code allowing particles to be cached from the BSP on mapload (they started it, just havent F'ing finished it!)
  2. Valve release the map officially.

GrimGriz

Jan 2, 2009
In all fairness there's the 3rd author responsibility option of pulling the things that generate errors until 1 or 2 happens.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
In all fairness there's the 3rd author responsibility option of pulling the things that generate errors until 1 or 2 happens.
It's just a warning, so it won't have any negative impact on anything.
Also, we're already using the format the valve coder said he was setting up, so if he does ever finish it, this map version wil suddenly work! :O miraculous!

Walliard

L1: Registered
Jan 5, 2009
Some areas are a bit confusing; I remember being unable to find the resupply in the robot room, as well as not knowing where the enemy would come from in the RED base. Also, a few areas, mainly the narrow outdoor passages, could use more light. Other than that, it's good. I really like the concept.

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
So, we played this on grims server for something like 1hr 40min.
I had a lot of fun, I still get slightly confused by the stairs and tunnels at the roboroom but that is not a big deal. I could always find at least 1 way to the action by following the arrows.

I was slightly annoyed that it was impossible to jump out from the sniperwindow near the village. However, I dont know how badly it would effect gameplay if scouts are allowed to enter via that... maybe its better to keep it closed :)

I believe we only got stalemated once? even with engineers guarding the intels they still got capped. shows that the game is atleast progressing instead of just defensive boringness.

Playing sniper is as though as ever on this map, so many corners. The only choice is to shoot really fast and hope they die before you. There are some places where the sniper is very powerful (in his intended purpose, ZZzzz), mostly on defence its possible to get a nice overview of all the entrances with a fair distance. On offence however it can be very difficult to be useful, the corridors are often very narrow and bendy. And every turn is a gamble, 50% chance to meet a pyro and 50% demoman :)

Oh well, good luck with the balancing.

MrAlBobo

L13: Stunning Member
Feb 20, 2008
So, we played this on grims server for something like 1hr 40min.
I had a lot of fun, I still get slightly confused by the stairs and tunnels at the roboroom but that is not a big deal. I could always find at least 1 way to the action by following the arrows.

Playing sniper is as though as ever on this map, so many corners. The only choice is to shoot really fast and hope they die before you. There are some places where the sniper is very powerful (in his intended purpose, ZZzzz), mostly on defence its possible to get a nice overview of all the entrances with a fair distance. On offence however it can be very difficult to be useful, the corridors are often very narrow and bendy. And every turn is a gamble, 50% chance to meet a pyro and 50% demoman :)

Oh well, good luck with the balancing.

Yep...still never exactly know where im going to end up after leaving the roboroom...but at least it usually leads to action eventually...the walk can be a bit painful as a heavy if you take a wrong turn though...

Im inclined to disagree with ravidge about sniper being limited in general and on offense, the robo room stages, the stages with the sub and the ship all have some good places to snipe from, I personally think a good balance has been achieved from a sniper standpoint. But then, he played as sniper at least twice as long as me during that time (i ended up on his team at some point and 2 snipers is just lame). While heavy the robo room is very fun as its easy to drop down on people and destroy them, same goes fora few other parts of the map.

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
The defensive sniping locations are great, therefore a equally skilled sniper can use the same space for offence (you just enter through the other door :p), so it's obviously possible to attack. The problem is the travelling part, where you actually try to get into their base.

I think my problem is that I tried to go alone, without anyone to take care of the close combat situations before I arrive at the "good part"...

MrAlBobo

L13: Stunning Member
Feb 20, 2008
true...I personally had little problem reaching the combat situation, but then the knife and crits are always very nice ;)

when I could I tended to follow you around while I was heavy to deal with the close range stuff...as a good sniper and any heavy thats not retarded can be a dangerous combo

GrimGriz

Jan 2, 2009
picture.php

I don't know if you recognize the area...but on the stage (where is attacking where) that I took the screenshot, if you go through that doorway it leads to 2 locked doors. If you decide to make another update, I'd ask that you take areas like this and close the doorway. doorways leading to dead ends like this just lead me to get lost and confused.

Nineaxis

Quack Doctor
aa
May 19, 2008
GrimGriz, that's been mentioned before, but those two windows right there provide a good defensive sniper/sentry spot.