Meltdown

CP Meltdown B2

Harritron

L4: Comfortable Member
Feb 26, 2017
Meltdown - A Multi-Round Attack/Defense map that takes place in a Unfinished Nuclear Facility.

A Multi-Round Attack/Defense map that takes place in a Unfinished Nuclear Facility.

A crisis occurs when BLU Members attempt to sabotage the nuclear reactor. They have damaged it significantly (aka, core meltdown imminent), but RED team still defends. If they succeed, they will save their facility! But if BLU Captures all Control Points... expect a fireworks display!

Currently in b1, and only features Round 1.
20170327150136_1.jpg
20170327150147_1.jpg
20170327150155_1.jpg
20170327150203_1.jpg
20170327150225_1.jpg

BigfootBeto

Party Time 2.0!
aa
Jun 8, 2016
Why does a nuclear facility have wooden buildings and walls everywhere? I get that's it's an unfinished facility, but it's going to be made of wood. Also in that second to last pic, I think you went overboard with the support beam props.

Edit: *It's not going to be made of wood.

Last edited:

Harritron

Feb 26, 2017
Why does a nuclear facility have wooden buildings and walls everywhere? I get that's it's an unfinished facility, but it's going to be made of wood. Also in that second to last pic, I think you went overboard with the support beam props.
Yes, I forgot to mention that this is away from the reactor. I tried to design Stage 1 in a sort of layout a comp map would be. For Stage 2, its going to be completely spytech, with no wood whatsoever. Stage 1 is supposed to be Spytech/Sawmill theme combined. Stage 2 Will have more details invilving the actual facillity and the core (Stage 1 is basically the doorstep into the facillity, so in reality, it would be safe to have wooden walls). I still hope you enjoy the map, and hope I helped.

Yabayabayaba

L5: Dapper Member
Jun 2, 2016
looks awesome! quick note: you seem to have way to many props, it looks crowded, and so many props will increase file size and decrease frame rate. Look at 2fort for an example, you see remarkably few props, it is mostly empty space. (also i am doing a research paper on nuclear reactors, so I must comment. Nuclear reactors CAN NOT EXPLODE LIKE NUKES. If you could somehow indicate the explosion comes from some other source like piping or expanding coolant I would give you 10 out of 5 sciences for accuracy, if not oh well. If you are interested in the science, reactor explosions are usually caused by gas (like hydrogen) released by melting metals and such (Fukushima), or rapidly boiling coolant that bursts pressurized containment (Chernobyl).

Have fun with that SCIENCE!!;)

also idea, nuclear power plants have a ridiculous number of safety systems (all turned off at Chernobyl I would like to mention), so you could make capturing points disable certain safety systems to allow for a meltdown.

Anyway I like your map, good luck!:D If you want more info on nuclear energy just ask and you shall receive!

BigfootBeto

Party Time 2.0!
aa
Jun 8, 2016
Well I took a look around and I've got some feedback, and if there's anything at all to take from it, it's prop spam. Prop spam everywhere. Also there was just the general feeling that the map wasn't tested at all.

Overall the map is pretty cramped and small. The ceiling could be raised by alot.

I get that it's sawmill/under construction, but it just gets super cluttered and I don't even know what I'm looking at most of the time. The ceiling, floor, and walls are just filled with stuff. Take a look at nodraw.net 's article on the density of detailing. Super useful.

hl2_2017-03-27_22-59-32.png
Already. What am I looking at? Props everywhere and everything blends together. I can't even tell which way is the exit. Also, 3 balances? Three?! And who would ever need 50 wardrobe things. They've all got the exact same stuff in them. Even the ceiling is loaded with vents and piping.

hl2_2017-03-27_22-59-44.png
Again. Where am I going? Also, 3 exits are useless if they are all in the same place. Also, the minecarts have no collision box. I can go right through them. So is it a nuclear facility or a mine shaft?

hl2_2017-03-27_23-00-23.png
I exit and again, what am I even looking at? There are props everywhere and the arrows don't help if there's just stuff everywhere.
There are 3 lamps on the wall, 3 on the ground, 2 arrow signs, a crane with floating wires, 3 more wall lamps further back, loads of boxes.
Not to mention that there's a sightline directly to A in front and one to B to the right.

hl2_2017-03-27_23-01-12.png
Fail. All of these boxes are nonsolid. ???

hl2_2017-03-27_23-01-22.png
I can't just run up this. I have to jump. Make sure it's 16 hu or less if you want me to be able to run up it. Also, in general, please clip your stairs with an invisible ramp so that my screen isn't jittery going up them.

hl2_2017-03-27_23-02-03.png
Cap A and B are both unlocked for some reason. This is B and capping it didn't even give me more time on the clock. Also, the upper route is completely useless if the only way up there is that one stair way. The hallway back there is supper cramped. Camping engies will be a problem.

hl2_2017-03-27_23-03-19.png
What. Why the particles???? They don't show up in the screenshots you gave. Also light spam. You could use less lights that are both brighter and have a wider spread angle to get the same effect.

hl2_2017-03-27_23-03-33.png
Seriously? These go outside, not indoors and 4 feet off the ground...
hl2_2017-03-27_23-04-13.png
Nuclear Facility or lumberyard? There's just no consistency. Also why all of those lockers?

hl2_2017-03-27_23-06-36.png
From above, Those lamps go through the supposed ceiling. Through. I'm also noticing that if that is supposed to be an under construction ceiling, then why are outdoor lights and dirt everywhere? Wouldn't the flooring be complete by the time you put the roof on? And there will also be a building within a building? I'm not sure, but it's just a confusing style.

hl2_2017-03-27_23-08-00.png
I rocket jumped here. Where is the clipping? Also you can see the floating wires better in this picture.

hl2_2017-03-27_23-08-28.png
From under the bridge, the graphics bug out here because there's a nodraw here.

Harritron

Feb 26, 2017
Well I took a look around and I've got some feedback, and if there's anything at all to take from it, it's prop spam. Prop spam everywhere. Also there was just the general feeling that the map wasn't tested at all.

Overall the map is pretty cramped and small. The ceiling could be raised by alot.

I get that it's sawmill/under construction, but it just gets super cluttered and I don't even know what I'm looking at most of the time. The ceiling, floor, and walls are just filled with stuff. Take a look at nodraw.net 's article on the density of detailing. Super useful.

hl2_2017-03-27_22-59-32.png
Already. What am I looking at? Props everywhere and everything blends together. I can't even tell which way is the exit. Also, 3 balances? Three?! And who would ever need 50 wardrobe things. They've all got the exact same stuff in them. Even the ceiling is loaded with vents and piping.

hl2_2017-03-27_22-59-44.png
Again. Where am I going? Also, 3 exits are useless if they are all in the same place. Also, the minecarts have no collision box. I can go right through them. So is it a nuclear facility or a mine shaft?

hl2_2017-03-27_23-00-23.png
I exit and again, what am I even looking at? There are props everywhere and the arrows don't help if there's just stuff everywhere.
There are 3 lamps on the wall, 3 on the ground, 2 arrow signs, a crane with floating wires, 3 more wall lamps further back, loads of boxes.
Not to mention that there's a sightline directly to A in front and one to B to the right.

hl2_2017-03-27_23-01-12.png
Fail. All of these boxes are nonsolid. ???

hl2_2017-03-27_23-01-22.png
I can't just run up this. I have to jump. Make sure it's 16 hu or less if you want me to be able to run up it. Also, in general, please clip your stairs with an invisible ramp so that my screen isn't jittery going up them.

hl2_2017-03-27_23-02-03.png
Cap A and B are both unlocked for some reason. This is B and capping it didn't even give me more time on the clock. Also, the upper route is completely useless if the only way up there is that one stair way. The hallway back there is supper cramped. Camping engies will be a problem.

hl2_2017-03-27_23-03-19.png
What. Why the particles???? They don't show up in the screenshots you gave. Also light spam. You could use less lights that are both brighter and have a wider spread angle to get the same effect.

hl2_2017-03-27_23-03-33.png
Seriously? These go outside, not indoors and 4 feet off the ground...
hl2_2017-03-27_23-04-13.png
Nuclear Facility or lumberyard? There's just no consistency. Also why all of those lockers?

hl2_2017-03-27_23-06-36.png
From above, Those lamps go through the supposed ceiling. Through. I'm also noticing that if that is supposed to be an under construction ceiling, then why are outdoor lights and dirt everywhere? Wouldn't the flooring be complete by the time you put the roof on? And there will also be a building within a building? I'm not sure, but it's just a confusing style.

hl2_2017-03-27_23-08-00.png
I rocket jumped here. Where is the clipping? Also you can see the floating wires better in this picture.

hl2_2017-03-27_23-08-28.png
From under the bridge, the graphics bug out here because there's a nodraw here.
I did get this tested by the imp last night, and I am already aware of those issues. I already removed the "blizzard particles" that somehow turned up in red's spawn, and just now working on clipping.

For BLU's spawn, I removed those minecarts and removed the three scales (replaced it with a arrow going right).

I also forgot to mention in my description that you can cap either A or B first (though it doesn't give blue much additional time, only an extra minute, meaning they have a total of 4 mins to cap both). I just thought that it would be an interesting theory to try, and when I got it tested, the community thought it was interesting, except that when it was tested the timer still added +3mins for each cap.

EDIT: about the ceiling, the metal bars on the top will come off when it's complete. Those lights I tried to design off those giant construction lights (even though they kind of failed). I'm also removing a few of those objects you pointed out, and replacing some of them.

Frosty Scales

L2: Junior Member
Mar 22, 2015
map seems pretty prop heavy from the screenshots, and that seems to be affecting the shadows a good bit. try using the parameters in my signature to avoid those issues

Harritron

Feb 26, 2017
That helped ALOT. Thanks, and I need to update those screenshots, as they were from an old release (should be updated tomorrow when I get the next version out)