CP MellowBrook

Failw1zard

L1: Registered
Aug 4, 2015
I'm starting my first map ever. I plan on making a competitive map that plays similar to cp_process and cp_sunshine. I plan on making it medieval themed.

Last edited:

HQDefault

...what
aa
Aug 6, 2014
Isn't MellowBrook the name of the town in Kick?

Anyway, it's worth pointing out that you got some NASTY sightlines in that map.

Also, is that a death pit behind second's spawn room... or just an invisible wall?

Lenny

L2: Junior Member
May 2, 2013
I'd really like to give feedback related to gameplay but the map is pretty much unplayable in its current state. Yes the actual capturing points and winning logic is set up correctly, but you haven't clipped any of your level boundaries. You can just walk off of the edge from pretty much anywhere.

Also, the skybox is really high and there isn't a forward spawn at mid (meaning when you're pushing into the enemy last, you're spawning at your second point). And the left spawn door doesn't work, at all. And you don't have any func_respawnroomvisualizers, so a person can hold their door open and let an opposing team member into spawn.

Last edited:

Lain

lobotomy success story
aa
Jan 8, 2015
Many people (I included) want to make competitive maps when starting out. And I just want to say, it's a LOT harder than it looks. Every playspace in CP_Process has been thought about meticulously, every place has a reason to be there. If you wanna see a map that takes a formula and runs with it, Look at Cp_Sunshine in comparison to Cp_Process, a lot of the set piece areas are similar. Study how these maps work and what makes them good, while thinking about what you as a competitive player are doing at any given time.
When you rocket jump up to the crates, why do you do that?
When you take IT instead of Sewer why do you do that?
When you push door 1 instead of roller why do you do that?
Think about the advantages and disadvantages that each pathway brings and how teams might play around your areas given an ubercharge disadvantage / advantage.
For example with Uber advantage, people usually sit between the ramp and choke on badlands 2nd, and with uber disad, they would sit at Greybridge. Look at each area and why people would sit in these areas, with disad you want to have an easy escape route, and be preferably near a health pack for if you do take damage. With Advantage, you want to sit closer to your choke and intimidate your enemies, spamming the with confidence and forcing them to move back and give up an area through fear of losing ubercharge (Doesn't work in ozfortress due to the gunmettle update changes to weapon pickups, however.)

Also you might want to look at these;
Valeria's guide to competitive mapping!
Common TF2 mapping mistakes and how to fix them

Last edited:

Failw1zard

L1: Registered
Aug 4, 2015
I'm maybe 6 hours into map making, so yes it doesn't have boundaries clipped and such. I'm really prepared for it to end up being terrible. Lots of stuff still needs to be worked out, and there needs to be tons of play testing, but I've got awhile before it's ready to be actually played.

Moonrat

nothing left
aa
Jul 30, 2014
I agree with Lain here, Comp mapping ain't easy.

I've got well over a hundred hours of mapping experience since I started mapping a bit over a year ago. I think I've gotten quite a bit better since then, but I could tell you without a doubt I wouldn't be able to make a good Comp map. Everything that exist in a Comp map has purpose, and detailing is limited to increase frames and always see players first.

If you plan on making a great lookin map, Comp ain't for you. If you don't plan on puts 10s of 100s of hours into a single file to see it be completed, you prolly ain't ready for Comp design. If you aren't ready to think about every stupid little thing that exist in your map, then Comp ain't for you.

MaccyF

Notoriously Unreliable
aa
Mar 27, 2015
I've got well over a hundred hours of mapping experience

Before steampipe:
hpPFVCA.png

Haven't tracked hours after that.

I'm still bad

edit: also
7VWDK2x.png

Last edited: